Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Hi! We have two American Bulldogs. Our youngest (2 years

Hi! We have two American Bulldogs. Our youngest (2 years old), Blue, has been experiencing hair loss on his back and sides. There are no other apparent symptoms, although he has started wanting to roll on the deck as if it's itching and has VERY black poop. Our vet took a blood sample and said he ruled out thryroid issues. He suggested changing his food an giving him melatonin to try and stimulate hair re-growth? I am really worried as his coat has always been so nice!
Hi there, and thank you for your question. First, let me get more information from you. Has your vet done skin scrapings, where he/she takes a scalpel blade and scrapes the skin until it bleeds, then looks under a microscope to see if there are skin mites?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes - after the thyroid test came back normal, he did a skin scrape. He said it showed nothing :-( Is there a way I can upload pictures for you to see?

Thank you very much!!

Kim
Pictures don't always help much with skin issues. If there are no skin mites and the dog is itchy, it is likely allergy related, especially if the dog is rubbing his back on things. Allergies can develop at this age. I would talk to your vet about allergy testing, or doing a trial of steroids to see if the itching stops. If the itching stops, it is probably allergies, and then your vet can help narrow down food allergy versus environmental allergy. This is typically a step by step process that can take a while, but I would talk to your vet about a steroid trial first, and if that helps, then start with allergy testing or a food trial. Hope this helps! Best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you - always wishing for a "quick fix" or diagnosis but, sounds like it is going to be trial/error and testing for awhile. Luckily not contagious as my other dog has no signs.

Thank you again.
No problem! Please remember to rate my service, or reply if I can further assist you. Have a wonderful day!
Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Blue. How is everything going?

Ann M.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No chsnge