Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years

My jack Russel of 12 years suffers from skin allergies. Her

Customer Question

My jack Russel of 12 years suffers from skin allergies. Her skin gets very irritated and inflamed at times as she scratched the areas . she scratches really badly that it bleeds. We bath her once every 2 weeks with sensitive shampoo . What can we use for skin relief ? Not sure what type of dog skin creams there are for this but one with soothing properties may work?
Category: Dog
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf : Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a skin and ear vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.
Dr. Louis Gotthelf : If the itching is so bad that she is mutilating herself, she needs a shot of cortisone to calm her skin down. While there are many reasons for itching, a steroid shot will give her relief while your vet tries to determine the cause of the itching. It could be allergies, but there may be an infection on the skin, parasites, food intolerance, or even mange mites.
Customer: She does get treated at our local vet. She is very healthy for her age and her coat is very shiny too. Every now and again gets a hot spot on her back but it does tend to heal . I would much prefer her to have a cortisone tablet instead of an injection every few months.Or perhaps a cream I could rub on her spot that will sooth her skin. There isn't an infection as far as I can see and as far as parasites go or mange .....she is a WELL looked after doggy.
Dr. Louis Gotthelf : It is not recommended to use cremes that contain steroids for very long in dogs. They thin the skin and cause the hair to fall out when used for a long time. What I recommend is to use a longer acting steroid, like dexamethasone. It is started by using a shot and then it is maintained by using pills. Because it is more anti-inflammatory and it lasts longer, the itching will tend to be calmed down for a longer period of time.
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lauren,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Louis

I took Bella to the vet to get another shot and all seems to be fine for now . I just don't know how to stop her itchy spot from coming back again. It must get so annoying for her ...
IF you will follow up the shot with the steroid tablets, you will be able to control her itching much better without having to run her in for shots all the time.