Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

General question regarding dog bowel movements... What frequency

General question regarding dog bowel movements...

What frequency of bowel movements is considered normal for dogs if on a highly digestable diet? Thanks!
Hi Sir or Madam,
.

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

I know you think this should be an easy question but each dog is different just like each person is different. However, my larger dogs tend to have one bowel movement a day. On the other hand, my chihuahua usually defecates twice a day. there are also other factors to consider as well A dog with parasites or protozoan infections tends to have more frequent bowel movement and they are usually looser if not diarrhea.

.

The more digestable the diet is the smaller the stools on a whole. When my dogs were fed a strict raw diet, their bowel movements were almost half of what they were on kibble but they still defecated every day.

.

Ingestion of foreign objects, rawhides and things like pigs ears can cause a dog to developan intestinal obstruction. In the case of rawhides, it can be a temporary thing that may resolve, but in other cases surgery might be required to remove the obstruction.

.

What I usually advise clients to do when they first come to me about house training issues is to have them start a journal noting the time you feed and the time they defecate and urinate. It usually only takes a couple of days before you see a pattern emerge. It is helpful when training because you know approximately when the dog should need to eliminate and can time the trips outside appropriately. It is good to know because if your dog's frequency of elimination changes, it can help signal illness or problems with parasites.

.

Hopefully, I answered your question. f you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/