Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

8 lb poodle cannot put weight on back left paw. Sprained? What

8 lb poodle cannot put weight on back left paw. Sprained? What can I do to relieve pain or help? Thanks
Hi Sir or Madam,

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 15-20 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

Is she putting the foot on the ground and limping or holding the leg off the floor?

Has she slipped or fell recently?

Will she let you straighten the leg out?

Is there any obvious sore areas on the paw or leg that you can find?

When did this start?

Have you checked for cuts, stones, etc to the paw?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
she is limping and will not put foot down. I can straighten cuts.. she might have slid on hardwood floor but didnt see it done. she was limping a bit yesterday but this am she couldnt put paw down on ground to urinate
Customer.Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. The first step is to go over the paw well, looking between the pads on the paws and checking the nails well. These will sometimes cause a dog to limp though usually they will be able to limp on it. .

Dogs who will not put weight on a leg could have a dislocated hip, or knee injury such as an ACL or CCL injury. You can read about dislocated hips here:

And read about ACL/CCL injuries here:

Since she is not putting weight on it, it probably is NOT a pulled muscle. I would have her seen by your vet as soon as possible.. If possible, contain her in a crate until you can get her seen. If it is a dislocated joint it is best addressed as quickly as possible, though I do think an ACL or CCL tear is more likely. With a partial tear the dog might still try and use the leg, but then injure it more leading to not using the leg at all. With this type of injury, you can usually straighten the leg out and put it back without the dog objecting too much. Slipping on flooring can cause this type of injury.

In addition, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.

If aspirin is used, your vet may not be able to prescribe other drugs until it clears from your dog's system. I'd probably hold off on the aspirin if you are going to get your dog in pretty quickly. I would contain her in a crate or very small area to keep her from moving around until you can get her seen. This will help prevent further injury to the leg.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Scarlet. How is everything going?