Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My akita had pups 2 nights ago and now she has very dark discharge/blood.

My akita had pups 2 nights ago and now she has very dark discharge/blood. Its not masses of blood. I am concerned. As the last puppy was still born
Hi Sir or Madam,.

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 30-40 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

Does the discharge have a foul odor to it or not?

Is it more of a leaking of dark blood?

Is it like a tiny puddle are a larger one when it leaks out?

Is she taking care of the pups she has?

Is she eating, drinking and eliminating rather normally?

Is this your first litter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi jane,
No odour, more of a leakage, small puddles. She is caring for her pups well. She is also eating, drinking and seeing etc. This is her second litter. She previously had 7 healthy pups. But this time she had 7 with 2 still borns.

It is not unusual for a female to have bloody discharge after delivery. It can start out bright red but frequently changes to a darker color and over the next few weeks it should gradually go to a light pink or tan until it is gone entirely. In many cases, your female will be licking herself to keep the puddles to a minimum. It can take up to 5 weeks for the bleeding to stop completely but in many cases only a couple of weeks is enough for it not to be noticeable.
Since she is eating, drinking and otherwise acting normal for a post delivery female, there shouldnt' be anything to worried about. I would continue to monitor as you normally would for a foul odor to the discharge, vomiting, diarrhea and a loss of appetite. These would indicate a possible infection from a retained placenta or other post partum issue. You can read about this below.

If your dog starts to experience muscle weakness, muscle spasms, tremors or seizures, limb paralyses, she needs to be seen as it is possible she has eclampsia. Calcium supplements, Tums, cottage cheese or goat’s milk may help, but it might not reverse the symptoms quickly enough.

Here is a site with more information on this.

I personally keep my females on high quality puppy food to ensure they get enough calcium and give a tums a couple of times a week which they see as a treat.

Now it is always a good idea to have a post partum checkup of your female and pups after delivery. Most vets just charge an office visit and bring you in before office hours start to avoid other patients. I usually wait until I feel there may be a problem, but many breeders routinely take their females in prior to delivery and afterward to be on the safe side.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

Hi Nicky,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fear. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jane,

Fear is doing fine , the discharge has lessoned and is changing to a pinky
red blood colour now. Still odourless. She is eating and drinking
normally too. She is caring for the pups well and they are suckling really

Thank you for your help and reassurance.

Nicky,.You are very welcome. Enjoy your puppies.