Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

active middle aged male dog has a diagnosed kidney stone. only

Customer Question

active middle aged male dog has a diagnosed kidney stone. only been on special food for 4 days. on pain pills & antibiotic. what are chances he will pass it on his own
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in.

Are you sure the stone is in the kidneys, or is it in the bladder?

What food is he on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in the xray it was in urethra on saturday. a royal canin urary food. but he is less hungry now
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I just want to make sure we are on the same page on exactly where this stone is. It is very important to know. The stone is in the urethra, where urine come out from the bladder when urinating, correct? Is this the only stone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes xray showed it was on one side & far down. I took him in for a cough....as they xrayd his heart, they saw the stone. only one. they didnot give me the impression he could pass it on his own. no vomitting. not noticeable diarrhea. but appetite is waning
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. When trying to dissolve a urinary stone, it has to be in the bladder or urethra. You cannot dissolve a stone in the kidneys or ureters (connect kidneys to the bladder). Plus, the stone has to be a struvite stone. It is impossible to say without removing and analyzing the stone. Even then some stones may only be part struvite and part something else. Your vet probably has a high suspicion it is a struvite stone. If in the bladder, you can dissolve the stone on a Royal Canin Urinary SO diet. If it is a very large stone, it will be a lot harder to dissolve and would be better to remove immediately. If a stone is in the urethral, you will unlikely be able to dissolve it because it wouldn't be surrounded by urine like in the bladder. Plus, it can take over a month to dissolve a stone. A stone in the urethra will most likely cause a blockage or pass before that time. You have to be careful of a stone in the urethral because if it causes a blockage, they will get very sick very quickly. Surgical removal is the treatment of choice. Your vet may be able to pass a catheter and flush the stone back into the bladder to see if they can dissolve it. In all likelihood, though, it will lodge back into the urethra. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hi Heather,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bo. How is everything going?

Texas Veterinarian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thx f or following up. turned out.....an untrasound confirmed the mass was not a kidney stone. I forgotwhat the vet said it was.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update. Let me know what you find out.