Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 14 yrs. old pomeranian (weighs 13 lbs.) has a swollen side

My 14 yrs. old pomeranian (weighs 13 lbs.) has a swollen side of the face and since he has very bad teeth, I believe it is a tooth abscess.

He is not in pain and looks happy.

Can I give him Amoxicillin? How many milligrams? I will take him to the vet tomorrow since it is afterhours here in Florida.

Thanks!
Hi Sir or Madam,
.

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

Let me go over the various causes for swelling of the face even though you are probably right that the teeth are the issue. It is best to have more information and be prepared just in case then to not have the information and then need it. After that, I'll address your question.

.

Facial swelling can be caused by infection, an allergic reaction to a bug bite or sting, bruising, mouth problems, cancer or muscle inflammation or due to acetaminophen toxicity. If it is possible your dog was bit by a snake, you will need to take the dog into the Vet immediately.

.

If it is due to infection you should find a cut or puncture somewhere. This swelling will often be warm and painful and your dog should have a fever normally with this type of swelling. Your vet will need to take care of the injury and possibly start your dog on antibiotics.

.

Swelling due to an allergic reaction is frequently caused by an insect bite or sting. Often the whole head will swell and it is generally not painful though your animal may be itchy. If you feel this may have happened you can give your dog Benadryl dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours and see if that helps. If it doesn’t your vet should be consulted.

.

If the swelling is associated with acetaminophen poisoning (Tylenol) you often see itchy paws and your dogs gums may appear brownish. See your vet immediately.

.

If it is caused by a bruise then a trauma would have occurred and in light colored animals you may be able to see a discoloration of the skin.

.

Certain cancers can develop on the head causing swelling in a specific area. Swelling under the jaw may be a swollen lymph node.

Inflammation of a muscle is another possible cause for a dog’s face to swell and typically it is the lower jaw or the top of the head that swells.

.

An abscessed tooth can sometimes cause lumps or swelling of the muzzle or jaw. You will want to check your dog’s mouth and look for any broken or discolored teeth. If you find any, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain until your dog can be seen by your Vet. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen.

.

Legally we can not suggest that you give a prescription drug to a dog that it has not been prescribed for. However, I can give you some sites that contain the information you are seeking which include precautions, usage, side effects and dosage information. Just close any popup windows that might come up. You do NOT have to sign up for anything, they would like you to though.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/amoxicillin/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ciprofloxacin-cipro-ciloxan/page1.aspx

.

If you are seeing the vet tomorrow, you might just hold off since you won't see any real improvement starting them tonight versus tomorrow morning. Also giving antibiotics for shorter than the full course can result in antibiotic resistant bacteria which you don't want.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jane,
Thank you so much for your very thorough and professional answer. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX
My dog, Pupuchito, is eating well, has a good appetite and looks happy and alert, so I believe it is not related to teeth abscess but could have been an insect bite or perhaps being hurt by a plant thorn or an allergic reaction to something that he went by since he just returned from a walk. I will give him 1cc of Liquid Benadryl for children/pediatric and monitor him through the nite to see if the swelling goes down. I will take him to the vet tomorrow morning as well. Should I put ice on the swelling with a little towel to protect him? What else can I do to make the swelling go down? Appreciate your quick response. Regards, Miriam

It might still be a tooth abscess. However, I would probably try the benadryl since it isn't going to hurt Pupuchito and may get the swelling down and avoid the vet visit. The dosage can go up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours but we like to start at 1mg per pound every 8 hours. .You can try ice. It can help but be sure to leave it on for no longer than 5 minutes at a time so you don't damage the skin. I'd do 5 minutes on, 10 minutes off.
It seems that you may have not been able to see my last response. So I'm going to post it as a information request for you. No need to open a new question.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?