Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My pit bull has some cut type signs in the left ear flap.

My pit bull has some cut type signs in the left ear flap. No actual bleeding but red. Looks like a scratch. She is Pawing at the ear and the other dog is licking at it. Today is the first day I have noticed this activity. What now?
Hello,I am sorry to hear Tres is having some trouble with her ear. I would love to help I just have a few additional questions.

Is the inside of the ear red or warm to the touch?

Any discharge ,build up or smell to the ear?

Is she shaking her head at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just checked it and it seems the same as the other ear. I could not smell a difference and saw no specific discharge or build up. She shakes it seldom but still more than before. Plus she seems to be licking her rear left inside leg after I check her. But I see nothing there either.
Thank you for the additional information.

THere are a few possible causes for dogs to paw at their ears and shake. The scratch you are seeing is most likely due to her pawing the ear.

The most common causes would be

* Infection cause by either yeast or bacteria
* Allergies. Food allergies as well as environmental allergies can cause the ears to be itchy.
* Foreign object in the ear such as a fox tail( type of grass seed)

What I would suggest is cleaning the ear with a good ear cleaner made for pets. You can get this at any pet store. Clean the scratch well and apply neosporin.
Oral Benadryl is often helpful with any itching. This is dosed at 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours as needed.

If the problem continues after 48 hours of at home care, she is scratching the ear more or you notice a smell or discharge then I would have her seen by the vet and have the ear checked for infection.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Hi Ken,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tres. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is much better and does not appear to have bad issues. She is not pawing at or shaking her head.
Thanks for your help.
I am glad to hear she is doing well and has stopped pawing at the ear maybe it was just itchy. Thank you so much for the update and give her a good belly rub from me.
Also I wanted to say thanks for loving a pitt bull

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here