Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am having difficulty in bottle feeding a new born puppy who

Customer Question

I am having difficulty in bottle feeding a new born puppy who is now approx 3 weeks old. Any advice or suggestions u could provide would be appreciated. Thanks u in advance.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in.

Try opening his mouth. Look at the roof of the mouth. Is there any hole or opening in that area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok Dr Gary. Plz be patient with me and give me jus a min to get him. I am disabled and in a wheelchair but it shouldnt take me but a min. He is in this room.

Dr Gary.....this is not opening or abnormalities on the roof of the mouth!!

Also I should not be charged for this question as I am an unlimited subscriber and have been for some time. I do normally always tip my experts tho and would be willing to cover that in the event I feel it is satisfactory results. Thank u!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FYI....I am a lifelong fellow Texan as well. Good to see u here on "Jus Answer"...!!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Additionally I do not want ur future replies by email. I prefer on line communicating with my Expert. If this is not possible and ur reply will be only be email I prefer to end this session and re-examine my subscription and decide if i intend on keeping this serveice. If changes have been made to reply by experts by email....I will not continue. Thank u so much for ur assist.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Great!! What part of Texas? We don't use email to reply back to you. You may get an email to tell you that I have replied, but you should get back onto the site to respond back. You may be able to change your email preferences to not allow email notifications when there is a reply or answer for you. So, there are a couple things that could be causing the milk to come back through the nose. It can happen when the puppy drinks too much or drinks too vigorously. You may want to try limiting how much he is eating at a single sitting. I know you mentioned that you have tried feedings closer together and further apart, but have you changed how much he is getting?Also make sure the milk is room temperature and not too warm or cold. It is possible that he may be ready to start eating solid food. In most cases, I don't recommend starting this until 4 weeks of age, but you can always try and see how he takes to it. Just mix a small amount of canned puppy food with the milk and see if he will try it. Just in case, make sure you are using a puppy milk replacer and not a human baby formula. It could be causing some reflux. Secondly, it is still possible that he has a cleft palate, even if you didn't see it. This occurs when the roof of the mouth doesn't close all the way during development, especially if you are having trouble opening his mouth. There may be a fistula, or opening in the palate to the nasal cavity. It may help to have your vet check it out. Thirdly, he may have a condition called megaesophagus. This will result in decrease in smooth muscle tone in the esophagus, cause it dilate and not work properly and lead to regurgitation. This can actually be a serious issue and lead to aspiration pneumonia. With puppies, it could be related to stricture from a vessel coming from the heart that should have closed and went away during birthing. Your vet can evaluate for that as well with an x-ray and barium contrast media to outline the esophagus. If he is still eating well and gaining weight, it may not be a major medical issue, especially if he has not problems with eating solid food once weaned onto that. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.

Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Gary....thank u for ur very thorough and extensive evaluation and
all ur suggested remedies. It is very kind of you to take so much effort and time in trying to help me. u certainly seem to be a very knowledgeable Doctor and I am grateful I was so fortunate to get u tonite. Again thank u and I appreciate u so much

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh and I am from East Texas....about 120 miles north of Houston or about 238 miles south of Dallas. Hope u are familiar....Lufkin Texas!!!

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. I can't say that I have spent much time in Lufkin, but I know where it is at. Let me know if you have any further concerns.