Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My siberian husky has some hair loss under the collar. Where

Customer Question

My siberian husky has some hair loss under the collar. Where the hair is missing, there are some flat brown spots. Do you know what this is?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question about Romeo. To best help out, I need to ask some questions.

1) How long ago was the collar removed?
2) Is he itching / scratching at the area?
3) When you washed the area, did any of the brown spots come off?
4) Are the brown spots in the skin or on the skin as a build up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

1. Collar removed last night

2. no itching or scratching

3. brown spots did not come off

4. brown spots are flat, not built up; look like normal spots on skin, but restricted to area of hair loss under collar.

Other: Hair loss only on bottom of neck

Steve

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Glad to be hear for you at this time Steve! Ok. That is good that there is no itching or scratching at that area. If that collar was on for long enough and rubbing enough on the skin, it can physically cause hair loss from it. If it was getting wet / moist from rain / water / saliva, then it can irritate the skin more. At this time, the physical contact of the collar on the skin may have caused some pigmentation to increase there. As long as the area isn't having any scabbing, inflammation, or irritation - there is a lot of hope / expectation that the hair will regrow as the irritation (the collar) has been removed. If again all this is located where that collar had contact, I wouldn't be too worried about this. I've seen some have pretty good pigmentation happen at areas of chronic rubbing like this. If the hair is falling out in areas not contacted by the collar - then could there be something else going on like a ring worm or skin bacterial infection or mite situation. From what I'm envisioning, it is a ring of hair loss or thining where that collar was at.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the very kind accept Steve. I'm hoping this goes well for Romeo! If it is ok with you, I'll send a follow up in a couple weeks to see how he's doing. I like to follow up and see what the progression is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Bruce:

Thanks for all the prompt responses. I am traveling today for 2 weeks; hence the urgency. I will be back on May 30. Hopefully the hair will start growing back by then. He has had other issues with rubbing and hair loss, particularly under his harness in his armpit (he is a working Husky, or sorts), but not the same brown spots.

Regards, Steve

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I hope your trip goes well and the situation improves a lot over that time. Sometimes hair regrowth can take longer than a couple of weeks. If the hair isn't growing back with the collar removed and 3 to 4 weeks, then something else may again be going on. Sometimes some endocrine (hormonal) issues can make the hard more brittle and fall out or not grow back. I would consider these if things aren't improving. I'll check back in 3 weeks.