Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My pit bull puppy is 15 weeks old and has had three series

My pit bull puppy is 15 weeks old and has had three series of booster shots. We are taking him to the vet on Thursday to get him his rabies shot. He has always made grunting noises when pooping and has had normal stools. Today he started to have some looser stools and it looks like there are trace amounts of blood in it. The blood is more red than black looking. He is still eating and drinking normally. He isn't vomiting at all. What could be the cause of the blood in his stool?

Hello, and thank you for allowing us to help regarding your concerns with Rza.

There are many possible causes for loose stool that contains blood in puppies the most common cause is Intestinal parasites. Not just worms but also microscopic protozoa such as coccidia and giardia Click here

Other possible causes would be:

* Dietary indiscretion - Eating something they should not
* Diet changes
* Colitis
* IBD
* Bacterial infection

The best thing to do would be to start with having your vet check a fecal sample. Since you have an appointment on Thursday they may allow you just to drop a fresh sample off for them to send out to the lab. I would highly recommend having it done by the lab and not just at the vets office as to often things such as whip worm, coccidia and giardia are missed.If parasites are found in the stool your vet will be able to give the proper medication when he is seen on Thursday.

If needed you can add some boiled white rice to the food to help firm the stool back up.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy