Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

y dog is 9 years old Saturday she started vomiting like white

y dog is 9 years old Saturday she started vomiting like white foam. She beening drinking a lot but hasn't really eaten.

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

I need a little more information please.

1. How many times has she vomited?

2. Is she having diarrhea too?

3. Did she have any new food, new treats, people food, or get into something?

4. Is she keeping water down?

5. Is she very lethargic or in distress?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

. She keeping the water down,She vomited about 6 or 7 times. She real hasn't real and bowel moment. She I guess a little lethargic. I only thing I know she got into was a bag of pistachio's

Thank you,

Pistachios could upset her stomach.

I would try to settle her stomach with pepto bismol plus pepcid ac. The pepto bismal soothes the stomach and the Pepcid ac reduces the acid in the stomach.

1/3 of a pepto tablet, or 1 teaspoon of pepto, per each 10 pounds of dog.

1/4 of a Pepcid ac tablet per 15 pound of dog.

You can give them together and repeat the doses every 8 hours.

Only let her have small amounts of water. If she drinks too much at once, she may vomit again. You can also give her pedialyte children's drink for hydration. She will not drink it so you have to give it with a syringe or eye dropper.

To help keep her blood sugar up, while she is not eating, you can put a spoonful of pancake syrup, or honey, in her mouth every few hours.

When she has not vomited for 8 hours, offer her one bite of a bland diet of plain cooked chicken breast and white rice. Wait an hour, to make sure she is not going to vomit, before gradually giving her more. So if you give the one bite, and she vomits, then she needs to see a vet. The most likely cause would be gastroenteritis which means inflammation of the stomach and intestines. It can happen when they eat something new, with stress, with drinking out of standing water outside, or putting unusual things in their mouths. We treat it with an antibiotic called "metronidazole."

So if she is not better by tomorrow, she needs to see the vet.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please click "reply."

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she been keep the water down. and the food down. She just not herself..

I would still do the pepto, Pepcid, and bland diet of plain cooked chicken and rice. Then if she is not improving, she needs to see the vet.