Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

I gave my dog a bone last Saturday, and he ate almost half

I gave my dog a bone last Saturday, and he ate almost half of it. I was watching him, and he didn't get any big pieces. But I got worried and threw it away. The next day he had almost white/very light tan diarrhea, and has had very mucusy soft stool since then. I have him on a bland diet of rice and chicken. Color is almost back to normal, still soft but not runny. Still getting mucus, and what almost looks like some type of skin/tissue in it. Had small amounts of red blood mixed in mucus after a few days, and then the very beginning of the poop,which is the firmest part, is almost a pinkish/spongy look and feel. Should I be worried? Does he need a vet now? I don't know what else to do. Vet said over the phone it sounded like colitis, but how long does it take to get rid of? Acts completely normal otherwise!
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
It does sound like colitis which is inflammation of the colon. It could be caused by eating a new food, any flavoring on the bone, or little pieces of the bone itself.
Ideally, Duke would go to the vet where they would check a fecal sample to see if he has abnormal bacteria in his stool. It is common for the bad bacteria to take over when there is inflammation in the colon. If that is the case, then he will need an antibiotic to resolve the issue. The antibiotic we usually use is called metronidazole. Since it has been a week already, it is probably not going to go away on its own.
Until you can get him to a vet, you can give him pepto bismol. 1/3 of a tablet, or 1 teaspoon, per 10 pounds of weight every 8 hours. It may make his stools dark so do not worry about that.
You can also add a probiotic to his chicken and rice diet. The probiotic will help put the good bacteria back into his intestines. Fortiflora, by purina, is a good one. They sell it online and at petsmart.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Thanks

I'm just following up on our conversation about Duke. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He is doing better. I kept him on the bland diet, and gave him some pepto that night. My other dog ended up with diarrhea the next day so I think their new food was contributing to the upset. So we quit giving them that yesterday, and tonight they are both good again. Thank you for your help, saved me an extra vet fee as Duke is already there with allergies quite often!
Yay! I am glad he is doing well and you could avoid an extra vet bill.