Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

what to use for skin dryness on a six year old golden retr

what to use for skin dryness on a six year old golden retriever?
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 6 year old Golden Retriever, Jack who seems to have quite dry skin. If Jack's skin looks red, or if he has any scabs or areas of hairloss, then you are best getting him to your local Vet for a full physical exam and for some skin diagnostics to ensure he doesn't have an underlying cause for this dry skin. Likewise, if you have noticed other symptoms (such as weight gain, exercise intolerance) as well as the skin changes, then it would be worth your Vet checking Jacks thyroid level to make sure he doesn't have hypothyroidism.

If Jack's coat simply seems a little dry, then I would recommend an oatmeal based shampoo as well as some fatty acid supplements. Hopefully Jack is already on a high quality canine diet - if not definitely get him on one asap (your Vet can help advise here). As for an appropriate shampoo, I would recommend an oatmeal based shampoo for Jack if his skin just seems a little dry. Episoothe is very good for this:

A fatty acid supplement can also help quickly improve the moisture of the skin and for this an omega 3 fatty acid supplement is ideal:

This is probably the best place to start for Jack. Let me know how you get on. Don't forget to click an excited face :-D if this has been helpful. Please be sure to reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if you need any further help or advice.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback (5 STARS OR AN EXCITED FACE :-D ) are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile: and ask a question via the question box