Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hi, my 11 yr old beagle mix has a swollen right front leg.

Hi, my 11 yr old beagle mix has a swollen right front leg. My wife had to take him to work so the the pest control can come to the apartment while we were out and he did go on a tall grass near by to do his business but I didn't see any bites or visible marks. He does suffer from seasonal allergies here in FL but I don't know if that is related. He was limping a bit yesterday but today he doesn't seem bothered by it at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hello,I would love to help I just have a few additional questions.Each answer is typed individually so please allow me a few minutes after your reply.

Where on the leg is the swelling?

If you press on the swollen area does it leave an indent where you pressed?

Is the leg warm to the touch?

JUst to clarify did the swelling just start yesterday?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The swelling is on the back of the leg between the 2 joints and I believe started yesterday. If I press it, it does not leave an indent and it feels normal temperature compared to the other leg. It feels like a flexed muscle. He's running around and doesn't seem bothered by it.

Thank you for the additional information.I am glad to hear that you are not seeing an indent as that could indicate more serious problems.

In the front legs the most common problem is soft tissue injuries and these can take a few days to heal. It is also possible that this is due to some form of bug bite when he was walking in the grass.

As long as he is not acting painful it would not hurt to just keep an eye on it for a few days and see how he does.

You can try oral Benadryl at a dose of 1mg per pound every 8-12 hours, if due to a bite of some sort this should help.

I would also suggest restricting his activity for the next 7-10 days in case this is a soft tissue or muscle injury. I would not allow any play, running or long walks. Only out for potty breaks and back in to rest. Continue with the compresses every 3-4 hours for as long as he will allow and I would alternate warm and cold.

If the swelling gets worse or he begins to act painful I would have him seen by a vet to be sure this is not a problem with one of the joints in the leg.

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Candy,

Thank you very much for your advice. I'll follow your recommendations and will reply back with the outcome.

Alan

You are very welcome Alan. I am on everyday if you see anything that worries you please do not hesitate to come back. All follow up is at no charge. I hope to hear good news in a few days.

GIve him a good belly rub from me and tell him I hope he feels better soon