Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My 7yr. old english bulldog has coughed up thick, white phlegm

My 7yr. old english bulldog has coughed up thick, white phlegm twice this morning. She's eating, drinking, pooping, peeing normally, but she acts like she's choking and then coughs up white phlegm. Time to see a vet???
Hello,I am sorry to hear Xena is having some trouble.

White phlegm is very commonly associated with respiratory infection bronchitis or pneumonia. When this is the problem the dog will cough so hard that it causes/or they appear to vomit.

In a older dog we also have to worry that a cough could be due to heart disease, so yes it would be recommended to have her examined by a vet as soon as possible.

Until you can get her in many owners find that using Robitussin DM will help calm the cough. It should be the DM only and this is dosed at 1 teaspoon per 20lbs every 8-10 hours.

I hope this helps give you some options on what this may be and what you can do to help. Please reply back if you have additional questions or need clarification and I will be happy to continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She's not coughing, only when she coughed up phlegm. Now she's drooling and I think it's because of the lemon juice.

Ok. What we need to figure out is if there is an increase in mucus which is not uncommon in this breed and this is causing the cough or if the cough is the reason for the Phlegm. IN my experience the white phlegm is normally caused by harsh coughing. If there is an increase in mucus then many bulldog owners will use the lemon juice to thin it and this can cause some drooling. As long as she is eating and otherwise acting normal it would not hurt to try the Robitussin and see if this helps, and if not I would have her seen by the vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Xena. How is everything going?