Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog had bladder surgery to remove his bladder stones one

My dog had bladder surgery to remove his bladder stones one week ago. He has been urinating frequently which is to be expected however I've noticed today that he's almost incontinent and will just pee right on the spot.. it's never a large amount of pee but it's like he can't hold anything in his bladder at all. Is this normal week after surgery or should I be concerned?

RebeccaVet :

Hello JACustomer,

RebeccaVet :

I am sorry to hear Toby had to have this surgery. Thank you for using Just Answer to ask about him.

RebeccaVet :

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

RebeccaVet :

Is he on any medication, or special diet since the surgery?

Customer:

Great, thank you. I'm just concerned because it seems that his urinating has been a lot more frequent in the past 24 hours when he was doing so well. Yes, he is on canine so 13 dry food

RebeccaVet :

It is not unusual to have straining, blood in the urine, or urine dribbling a week after surgery.

Customer:

okay.. its been a full week as of tonight though. Should I expect drastic improvement or could this potentially continue? Hes not scheduled to go back to the vet until tuesday afternoon to have his sutures removed.

RebeccaVet :

His bladder is inflamed, irritated, but healing. When a bladder is inflamed, it is hard to hold urine in so you do urinate more often.

RebeccaVet :

But the good news is that bladders heal quickly and he should get better soon.

Customer:

Okay so is there any indication during this that I should be concerned prior to his vet appt next tuesday?

RebeccaVet :

I would be more concerned if he was straining and no urine coming out.

RebeccaVet :

The more he urinates, the more he is flushing out that bladder.

Customer:

He's definitely urinating a very good and very frequent amount. It's so unlike him to just urinate where he is without indicating he has to go out but I'm assuming thats because his bladder cannot hold it.

RebeccaVet :

Yes, what you describe would be normal a week after surgery. I would be worried if it is not improving after two weeks.

Customer:

Alright so if I don't see any improvement by Tuesday then I can discuss it with my vet. He's on rimadyl, pain meds, and antibiotics

RebeccaVet :

Sounds like those meds, with the diet, should have him back to normal soon.

Customer:

Alright thank you very much

RebeccaVet :

You are welcome.

RebeccaVet :

Is there anything else I can help with or answer?

Customer:

Nope I think thats it

RebeccaVet :

If so, please ask. Kindly rate my answer when we are finished, but only if all your questions have been answered.

RebeccaVet :

I hope he is better soon.

Customer:

Thank you!

RebeccaVet :

You are welcome!

RebeccaVet :

I will check back to see how he is doing.

Hello Brittany,
How is Toby doing?