Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Before I consult a dog behavior specialist, I have a question

Before I consult a dog behavior specialist, I have a question for a vet expert. About 48 hours before my dog 1st displayed aggressive behavior with other animals he fell into a scum covered black water canal. He was 15 months then and he is 35 months now and he occasionally displays the same behavior with the cat without any warning or provocation. The cat is not the only target, this dog since that incident of falling in the scummy water also started being aggressive with other dogs at the dog park and while on his leash for a walk. If it wasn't for the fact that this aggression developed 48 hours after he fell in that water and he never was aggressive like that before, I would not think that there could be any connection. Is it possible that there is a physical reason for his behavior change? He is never aggressive with people only other dogs and occasionally our cat.
Hi Sir or Madam,

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today if you are ok with that.

If you only want a vet to answer this question before having me or another dog behavior expert, please let me know. If I can answer your question, let me know and I'll have a series of questions I'll need responses to before I can give you not only an answer to your question concerning the water but also any behavioral modification training.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think at this point I need to rule out physical issues and would need a vet to advise about that. Thanks

Hi, I'd be happy to help you out.

Is he aggressive with just smaller animals or larger animals/ dogs as well?

Is he neutered?

Have you tried any medications on him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just with dogs and our cat as far we know; yes he's neutered; something the vet gave us to calm him but it did not seem to help

Ok thanks.

I understand the coincidence with falling into the canal, but I don't think this is a physical condition. It doesn't sound like he makes any sort of connection between water and aggression. It seems like this is going to be behavioral.

To know what his trigger is, you really have to get with a behaviorist and work with them closely in his normal surroundings. They will watch him during walks and around other animals to find that trigger. They'll then work with him and you to de-sensitize him so that he's not aggressive anymore.

This is not going to be a quick fix, but over time they can get him re-conditioned. Medication may play a part, but the situational training is going to be the key here.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my concern was more along the lines of something ingested when he fell in that water

Oh, no that wouldn't cause any aggression.

We can see some vomiting/ diarrhea from anything ingested in a pond/ canal or potentially neurologic signs of muscle tremors. Any of these signs would resolve within 24-48 hours.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ