Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.

My 8-month-old cocker spaniel puppy went into heat April 22.

My 8-month-old cocker spaniel puppy went into heat April 22. Can you tell me if it would be safe by now to take her to the dog daycare where it's free run? I don't want her to accidently be mated there. How long after she goes into heat before it's safe for her to be around other dogs? The facility doesn't guarantee that all their male dogs are neutered. I have not had her spayed because I intend to breed her in a few months.
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

There's a great deal of variation between females as to how long their estrus cycles last although the average is about 3 weeks. Proestrus (which is when there is usually the heaviest bleeding and the vulva starts to enlarge and the females start to flirt a little) lasts about 7-10 days and then estrus (when she could get pregnant and she would allow herself to be bred) also lasts about 7-10 days.

So, it sounds like it's still too early to trust that your girl is out of heat just yet.

But one really good way to tell would be to have a vaginal smear done by your vet. Then you wouldn't have to "guess" whether or not her cycle is average or lasting longer than average.

I hope this helps. Deb