Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 8 yr old German Shepherd mix has a loose front incisor.

My 8 yr old German Shepherd mix has a loose front incisor. Is it really necessary to put her under to pull it or will it fall out and heal naturally. She's extremely active (frisbee catching/biking) and healthy and shows no pain.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. It depends on how loose it is. If extremely loose, it is possible that it may fall out by just chewing on a chew bone. If only mildly loose, chances are that it won't fall out without extracting it. The problem here is that just because it is loose, does not mean the tooth is intact. It could be fractured below the gum line. The crown may fall out, but the root may remain in there. The root has to come out as well. If her teeth have a lot of tartar, it would be best to put her under for a dental cleaning anyway. Periodontal disease can have a lot more severe side effects in the body. Far more detrimental than anesthesia ever could be. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Doc,

It's only mildly loose and her teeth are in good shape, not much tartar. We were given an estimate of $500-$750 and don't have the funds for that right now. Is it okay to wait a month or two and see what happens? Also, what is not really crucial if we do proceed i.e. CBC's, Chem profiles, etc... Thanks

You are welcome. If not causing any problems and not inflamed or infected around the tooth, it should be okay to wait a month or two. It is not usually an emergency unless causing problems. With any anesthetic procedure, it is always important to do the pre anesthetic bloodwork, especially with a 8 year old GSD. If there are any underlying liver or kidney issues that haven't surfaced yet, anesthesia tends to become more of a concern at that point. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Doc,

No inflammation or infection. Lastly, can you recommend via links the best doggy toothbrush and toothpaste. There's just too much out there to really know what's best. And yes, we'll start on a daily regimen. Kashi sends her appreciation as well for keeping her out of Vet-Hell for a few weeks at least. Kind Regards.

You are very welcome. CET is the brand preferred by vets. It tends to work the best. Hope this is what you are looking for. If not, please let me know.