Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My 7yo Weimaraner has arthritis in right front leg. Hes 90

My 7yo Weimaraner has arthritis in right front leg. He's 90 pounds, on 2 Phycox per day, and has been on Carprofen 100mg (1 1/2 tablets) per day for 4 months. I'm concerned about the possible side effects (ulcers, liver damage,etc.) if he stays on it long term. In the next few weeks I will be swimmimg with him on a daily basis (waiting for weather to turn warmer). Last summer that seemed to help with his overall weight and well being. What do you think about the Carprofen use? He's my baby!

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question about Nick. Carprofen is a very good oral NSAID to use for the treatment of discomfort associated with osteoarthritis. It can be safely used long term when it is used appropriately and monitored. That being said, I recommend blood work a month after starting it to see how the liver is responding to it. I then recommend every 6 months to 1 year rechecking the blood work to make sure it is handling the medication well. It is important to realize that it should and ideally is used as a minimal dose and frequency as possible to keep his quality of life good! That is good that you'll be doing the swimming as that will hlep to get his weight down which is huge for helping with arthritis situations. This will be less wear and tear on the joints. I don't like to use the Phycox at the same time as an NSAID as it has Cox activity and this could in theory affect the Carprofen. I would in his case recommend starting him on a glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplementation like Dasaquan. The glucosamine / chondroitin supplementation can help to provide better overall joint health. Here is a great link on all the different options for helping a dog with arthritis. Please read it and see what other products are available.

The good news here is that you're being proactive in recognizing what you can do to help his quality of life at this time! You're showing that he's your baby and you want the best for him.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You! I will try the Dasquan. My vet did not tell me to stop using Phycox (he prescribed it) when he later added the Carprofen.

Also, thank you for the link!