Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My chiuahiua has over ate and is bloated and walking stran

My chiuahiua has over ate and is bloated and walking strange
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
1. What did Taz eat? How much do you think he ate?
2. How long ago did he eat?
3. How much does he weigh?
4. When you say he is walking "weird," how is he walking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He hardly ever eats human food but i gave him a quarter piece of jimmy dean sausage, a little egg whites, and grits that were left over. He ate it 15 minutes ago. He weighs 6lbs. He's walking very slow and with a slight limp. Hes laying on the couch now and is very alert.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
So he had a little late night breakfast.
There are a number of over the counter human medications you can give to help settle his stomach.
1/2 of a teaspoon of pepto bismal, every 6 hours, as needed.
1/4 of a pepcid ac, or tagamet, tablet every 8 hours as needed.
You can give the pepto bismal, and pepcid or tagamet, together.
If his food dish is down, pick it up. He does not need anymore food tonight.
He can continue to have water.
After you give the pepto bismal, and pepcid or tagamet, take him for a little slow walk. If he has excess gas, that will help it move it through.
He should be feeling better in a few hours.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just read about pancreatitis in dog that eat fatty table scraps. should i be concerned and if he isnt better in a couple of hours what signs or symptoms should i look for that will tell me to take him to the vet?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Pancreatitis, can happen when they eat a high fat meal. It usually takes quite a bit of high fat food for the pancreas to become inflamed. I was thinking the egg whites, and grits, were not that high in fat. The sausage is high in fat though. I do not think 1/4 of a piece is too much of a cause for concern.
Just in case, the pancreas is located in the upper right abdomen just under the rib cage. It makes enzymes to break down fats and carbohydrates. When a high fat meal is consumed, it can become inflamed. I would not expect to see signs for 12-24 hours. Signs are refusal to eat, vomiting, and pain on palpation of the upper right abdominal quadrant. So, if he starts to have those symptoms, he should see a vet.
Or if he can not keep food or water down tomorrow, he should see a vet.
Blood in the vomit, or stool, would also be cause to see a vet.
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Taz. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby