Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My Parsons XXXXX XXXXX has red itchy skin on its bare tummy

My Parsons XXXXX XXXXX has red itchy skin on its bare tummy and it also appears to be on the skin under his tummy hair. We have taken him to the vets but all he does is prescribe steroids at a ridiculously expensive price. This appears to work to a degree but I know it simply suppresses the condition not cure it. He is scratching all the time the poor thing. He is also always after food even though we feed him the recommended amount.
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
The most common cause would be allergies. Food allergies and environmental allergies would be at the top of the list.
Beef, chicken, lamb, corn, wheat, and soy are the most common food allergens. Food allergies develop over months to years.
To determine if he has food allergies, he would need to be put on a completely hypo-allergenic diet for 6 weeks. The name of the hypo-allergenic diet is "hills z/d." It is a prescription diet and you have to get it from a veterinarian. There are no over the counter completely hypo-allergenic diets. It is only about $10-$15 more a month so it is not that bad if it fixes the skin issue. If his skin improves, then you know it is food allergies.
I feed my own dogs "proplan sensitive skin" which is low allergen but not completely hypo-allergenic and will not work for the food allergy test.
He could also have environmental allergies. This is called "atopy" or "atopic dermatitis." The dog's skin comes in contact with the allergens and then they are absorbed into the skin causing an allergic reaction. Your vet can do a blood allergy test to see what he is allergic to. Then he could receive allergy shots to desensitize him to the allergens. The allergy shots are 50-75% effective. We also treat atopy symptomatically with antihistamines, shampoos, topical creams and sprays, cortisone, and immune suppressing medications.
You can try human benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 12 hours.
You can use human aveeno oatmeal shampoo twice a week.
Over the counter hydrocortisone cream, or spray, can be use 3-4 times a day to help with inflammation.
Flea saliva allergy can also cause an allergic reaction. Make sure you are using a high quality flea control plan every month. Frontline, Advantage, and Comfortis are all good options. Do not use flea shampoo or flea dips. Those only remove the fleas that are on him at the time of the bath, do nothing to repel future fleas, and dry out the skin and cause reactions.
Omega 3 fatty acids can help with skin inflammation. Fish oil is a good source of omega-3s. One teaspoon, per 15 pounds of weight, twice a day. You can buy it at the drug store or the health food store. Put it on his food.
To be thorough, he should also have a fungal culture to rule out ringworm which is a fungal infection. This is done by having a vet pluck hairs from an affected area and put those hairs on a special fungal growth gel. If he has ringworm, or a fungal infection, he will need topical and oral anti-fungal medications.
He should also have a skin scrape, done by the vet, to make sure he does not have demodex mange or sarcoptic mange. This is an easy quick test where the vet scrapes some skin cells, from an affected area, and looks at them under the microscope. If he has mange, he will need anti-parasitic medications.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a cream or something similar i can apply/ I have been told to try an iodine solution

If it is not food allergies, then it is atopy. In atopy, the way the allergens enter is through the skin. So frequent bathing can help as well. This removes the allergens from the skin.
Betadine, which is over the counter in the first aid aisle, can be useful if it is a moist skin infection. In that case, clean the area 1-2 times a day with the betadine.
Hi Peter,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Barney. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Purchased the diet plan you proposed but inflammation still bad and barney is scratching all the time, we don't get any sleep at night. He rubs his tummy on any rough surface he can find. We think it may be environmental as he had similar problems this time last year, could it be the pollen that gives him the problem? What ever it is it is driving us both crazy.

If it is not food allergies, then yes it would most likely be pollen or something in the environment. You could always have him allergy tested. Then he could receive allergy shots.
Did you try anything else I recommended?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We asked the vet to do a skin scrape with a view to testing for allergies. He agreed it is quite possibly an environmental type allergy.

Did you try the benadryl or other antihistamines?
How about the fish oil? Did you try the fish oil?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Apparently barney has an infection which is currently being treated with antibiotics and Fuciderm Gel.