How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Doctor Jeff Your Own Question
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 4589
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Doctor Jeff is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi our dog weighing 22kg gas just ingested some bone meal which

This answer was rated:

Hi our dog weighing 22kg gas just ingested some bone meal which contains phosphorous pentoxide. He ingested a small amount but not sure if I should do anything else?
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. The biggest concern in this situation is burns or ulcerations to mucosal surfaces which include the mouth, esophagus, stomach, trachea, etc. If a small amount was consumed, you may not see much of a reaction. However, to play it safe, I would give some milk (1/2-1 cup). This can help coat the GI tract. You can also give a tablet of pepcid AC or tagament twice daily. This will reduce stomach acid production and could help. This combined with a couple tablespoons of maalox (or milk of magnesia) can also help support the inner lining of the GI tract.
Certainly, any sign of vomiting, pale gums, abdominal pain, weakness, stupor, is reason to seek immediate veterinary attention.
I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Dr. Jeff
Doctor Jeff and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions