Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My Dog is 11 years old, she is a female sheltie , while playing

My Dog is 11 years old, she is a female sheltie , while playing fetch outside in the grass she yelped loudly now her paw looks bent and she is trying to use only three legs, what do you think i should do it is of coarse saturday and the vet is closed until monday
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
1. Is the paw bent abnormally or is she just holding it up and bending it?
2. Have you tried moving the paw to see if that hurts her?
3. Do you see any swelling?
4. Will she put any weight on the leg at all?
5. How long ago did the injury happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It seems as if she is just holding and up and bending it

no i have not tried to move it I have touch it and she has not cried out in pain. It looks like it is a little swollen and it happened about 2 hours ago. she want to keep getting up and moving but not putting any pressure on that paw.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
If she is not putting any weight on it, and there is swelling, it could be a fracture. For a fracture to be confirmed, an x-ray would have to be taken of that leg. If she did have a fracture, and the bones were still in alignment, then a cast (splint) could be applied for 6-8 weeks. If the ends of the bones are not touching, then she may need surgery to repair it.
Make sure you check her toes and toenails in case she has fractured a toe or ripped a nail. Also check between her paw pads, to make sure she does not have any splinters or foreign bodies.
If she continues to refuse to put weight on the leg, then she should go to the emergency vet tonight. When a fracture heals it forms callouses on the ends of the bones in 1-2 days. If the bones are not aligned when the callouses form, then the ends of the bones will not stick together and it is very difficult to get it to heal.
If you can not get her to an emergency clinic, keep her in a crate or a small bathroom. Do not let her try to walk around on it.
As long as she is not on any medication, and she does not have any underlying health problems, you can give her a dose of aspirin. The dose for aspirin in dogs is 5 mg per pound. For example, a 20 pound dog would take 100 mg of aspirin. Give it with food to help prevent stomach upset.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Right now she is on deramax for a tumor in her bladder and for arthrtis. So I should take her in right now. she is already having trouble peeing from this and not sure how much more time she has left. Not sure what to do

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. She can NOT take deramax and aspirin together.
Poor girl. I think she would appreciate you taking her in right now.
If it is just a sprain, she can be given an opiate pain medication that she can take in addition to deramax. She would be given stronger pain medication if it is a fracture as well.
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.