Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

We have a Chiwawa/Pug mix he weighs aprox 11 lbs. and has a

We have a Chiwawa/Pug mix he weighs aprox 11 lbs. and has a torn ACL, he never had any problems and seemed to have landed on his leg th wrong way while playing in our yard. He is four years old. We took him to the vet and he was given some pain medicine and we were instructed not to let him jump/run, etc. Well considering it was almost impossibleto stop him & he seemed to have been feeling better and the leg seemed stable, he reinjured it this morning running in the yard.

What should we do. Will it heal if we keep him caged? How long should he remain off of the injured leg.
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
I always recommend two weeks of strict cage rest. That means he is going to stage in a cage, or a crate, all the time except when he comes out to relieve himself. You are going to carry him outside to do his business. Also keep him on a leash, when he is outside relieving himself, so he can not take off and run.
After two weeks, you can take him out for controlled exercise on a leash.
If he starts to limp again then, he will need surgical repair of the torn cruciate.
I have had good luck with the two weeks of strict rest.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."