DrEllie
DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience:  As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.
73027278

My dog is 16 years old. Can she have 1 or. 2 25mg of Benadryl

My dog is 16 years old. Can she have 1 or. 2 25mg of Benadryl at night along with her perscription of 5 MG of Hycodan? Wondering if there is a problem giving her both of those meds at the same time?

DrEllie :

Hi! My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am here to help answer your questions but please remember that advice and diagnosis over the internet can never replace advice given in person after a thorough physical examination and evaluation of lab work.
Please be patient as some responses can take some time to type out. In addition, please do not forget to rate our interaction after I have answered all of your questions.

I am assuming the Hycodan was prescribed for Roxie by her veterinarian but is she currently taking any other medications?

Customer: And taking temaril p. 2 mg. and yes the Hycodan was prescribed
DrEllie :

Thank you for the information. Please give me just a few moments to research the drug interactions between those medications

DrEllie :

What symptoms are you wanting to treat with the benadryl?

Customer: Just to calm her at night. She has been having trouble relaxing
Customer: She has some respiratory issues and coughing
Customer: .?
DrEllie :

Thank you for your patience. My main concern is that Temaril P already has a type of antihistamine in it and the benadryl is an antihistamine as well. Please give me a few more minutes to see what I can find

Customer: ?..
DrEllie :

DrEllie :

With the Temaril P and Benadryl the most common side effect is sedation and it is recommended to separate the medications by at least 8 hours.

I am going to now check the interaction with the Hycodan.

DrEllie :

I do not see any interactions between the Hycodan, Temaril P, and Benadryl. I will caution you that each has a side effect of sedation though, so I would give them all together with caution.

Customer: Thank you for the research and answer
DrEllie :

You are welcome. Best of luck with Roxie

Customer: Thnx