Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience

my dog has been lethargic and has had diarrhea for about 2

my dog has been lethargic and has had diarrhea for about 2 weeks now. Just gave her a lomotil when I discovered that sometime during last night she had an accident (diarrhea) in our guest room. Is it safe to wait to take her to the vet tomorrow or should I take her to the emergency today?
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. Lomotil is sometimes used for diarrhea with dogs. If this was prescribed by your vet, I would follow the directions on the bottle. Provided she is otherwise healthy, you can give a tablet of Immodium AD twice daily. This can help firm up the stools and help with the urgency. If she is not improving or worsens, then a vet visit is warranted. Signs that a more immediate vet visit is necessary are pale or yellow/orange inner lip and gums, increased lethargy, vomiting, etc.

The fact that this has been going on for so long, it may be necessary to discuss further diagnostics and treatment options. Your vet may use bloodwork , fecal tests, endoscopy, etc to determine an underlying cause for the chronic diarrhea. Some medications your vet may consider would be metronidazole, tylan, prednisone (if irritable bowel disease is present), etc.

I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Dr. Jeff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Her lips are the correct color that they should be. I forgot to mention that she has been drinking a lot of water, more than normal. She was at the vet's 3 weeks ago and he said that she was fine however that was before the diarrhea. He said that maybe she was just thirsty more than usual.

Anytime you note an increase in water consumption in an aging dog, it is probably worth a basic blood test. There are some issues that can be ruled in/out relatively easy including diabetes, cushings (overactive adrenal gland), kidney disease, etc. So, if this increase in water consumption continues, it may be worth discussing bloodwork with your vet. I hope this helps.