Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

What would be the best way to carry a lab up the stairs after

What would be the best way to carry a lab up the stairs after acl surgery?
Hi again,

I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years - I had the chance to help you in the past and hope to do so again! Take a look at this video and tell me if this is how you are slingining her as this is the best way.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She fights getting into the sling and then fights going up the stairs, her vet suggested the stairs slowly

The video really isn't a hard sling to get into - it is a towel and I'm curious if it is being used in the same way. Please look at it as it is one of the simplest things and best things to use.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no the one i have sure isn't i will see about the towel

This set up with the towel in the video is what we use all the time with rear leg walking assistance. It just requires a towel and some help on your part. It is easy to get in place and to use. I love them post rear leg surgery.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she still would not do the stairs, is the anything else i could use? this is the harness i have

Sometimes the sling walking with the towel is tough as a single person activity. It works so much better when one person can lead and the second walking along holding the sling. She may need some motivation to go up the stairs like a treat or snack at the top. This may be a situation where she is mentally just not wanting to do this as she's scared and she needs some times of doing it to realize she can. Can a friend come over to help you help her do this a few times with treats to show her it is possible? As far as slings, there really isn't anything that will make her go up the stairs better. I wish I had a perfect solution here, but training her to once again feel confident on the stairs is needed here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not really I live alone and all my friends are shift workers. She went up the stairs fine yesterday, a few times but not today

So she can and will do the stairs, but just has lost some confidence today. Is she on any post surgery pain medication?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

metacam and ultram

The metacam and the ultram are very good pain medications to use post surgery. I would definitely continue with them. Keeping her as comfortable as possible is important here. I would continue the towel approach. I would place it on her and walk her around the house with it on as this will help her to realize she can walk with it on. The towel and the stairs can then be approached once she's doing well elsewhere.
Hi Jessie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is doing pretty good, have a follow up with her vet tomorrow I ended up sleeping down stairs at least till i am am back on duty to give a chance to heal abit more

Thanks for the update Jessie! I'm glad to hear that she's doing pretty good at this time post her acl surgery. I hope she continues to do well. I hope the follow up appointment goes well tomorrow! Take care!