DrEllie
DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience:  As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.
73027278

I recently adopted a female 8 year old spayed Spanish greyhound

I recently adopted a female 8 year old spayed Spanish greyhound (galgo). When I got her she had and still has two soft lumps behind her rib cage on either side of her back approximately an inch long.
What can it be?

DrEllie :

Hi! My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am here to help answer your questions but please remember that advice and diagnosis over the internet can never replace advice given in person after a thorough physical examination and evaluation of lab work.
Please be patient as some responses can take some time to type out. In addition, please do not forget to rate our interaction after I have answered all of your questions.

DrEllie :

There are numerous possibilities for what the lumps could be ranging from fat to something more serious...

DrEllie :

With that being said, there are a few options for diagnosing what the lumps are made of.

DrEllie :

First, a fine needle aspirate (FNA) is the most non-invasive way to diagnose. This is when a small bore needle is inserted into the masses and the cells from the lump are placed on a slide and evaluated under a microscope. This sometimes can tell you what the mass' identity is.

DrEllie :

Second, a full biopsy would be sure to give a definitive answer, however would require some sedation. This is when a piece of the lump is sent in for histopathology by a pathologist. Normally I would recommend this option if the FNA did not yield results.

DrEllie :

Lastly, if these masses are identical in location and size, it could be normal for Vela. They could be muscle possibly.

I would recommend pointing the lumps out to Vela's vet next time she is in for any exam and ask for their opinion. If you think that the lumps are changing in size, shape, color, or pain level, I would recommend getting them checked out sooner.

Customer:

The lumps are under the skin and therefore covered in fur. There is no pain. They are soft and not exactly opposite each other, but I would guess are basically the same thing. A little more than an inch in length in a slightly virtical position.I sent a picture, did you get it.?

DrEllie :

I'm sorry, I did not get a picture

DrEllie :

The most important thing to remember is that a vet cannot determine a lump's identity by just looking at it. We can presume or guess at what it is by appearance sometimes, but the cells from the lump would have to be examined either through a biopsy or and FNA to get a definitive diagnosis.

Customer:

Yes, I realise that and I intend to take her to my vet. I just wondered if you had some ideas on what in could be. I have thought of many things too such a tumors on her kidneys but that is probably a bit extreme.

DrEllie :

It would be very uncommon for that to cause a lump that you can see externally. If it is any consolation to you, the majority of masses under the skin (subcutaneous) are benign and not anything serious so I wouldn't worry too much until you have them checked out. I hope that helps to ease your mind!

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good to know. Still can't get the photo to "send" but it doesn't matter. I suspect she has had these lumps for some time and that it is not much to worry about. She was seen in Spain by vets as she was spayed, vaccinated and microchpped before she came to me in Belgium and blood checked as well for heartworm; leishmania and erlichia. She is negative on all counts. No mention was made about the lumps which doesn' necessarly mean much either.

DrEllie :

It sounds like they checked her out pretty well though. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I hope you have a lot of years with Vela!

Customer:

Well, the European associations who try to get the galgos adopted throughout Europe do their best to give as much information as possible to the futur owners, and they work closely with the Spanish refuges who try to save these long suffering dogs who have such a tragic life at the hands of the Spanish hunters.

Customer:

Thank you for you advice and I will, for my own piece of mind and curiosity, get to the botom of this mystery.

DrEllie :

Sounds like a plan. Please feel free to update me after her next vet visit. I like to follow up with my clients just in case additional questions arise!

Hi Mimi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Vela. How is everything going?

DrEllie
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I saw my vet yesterday with Vela. She thinks the lumps are fatty deposits called lipoma. She punctured both lumps, there is no liquid but she got a little tissue which will be analysed just to be sure. So, in theory nothing to worry about. Thank you.

Mimi

That is great news! Thank you for the update. I always say that it is better to have things checked out than to be sorry you didn't later. Thank you for opening your home and heart to a dog in need...the world needs more people like you!