DrEllie
DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience:  As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.

My 9 year old cocker spaniel started shaking and throwing up

Customer Question

My 9 year old cocker spaniel started shaking and throwing up yesterday. He stopped eating but will drink excessively and then throw up. He has done this 7-8 times in less than 24 hours. Could it be he is just sick or something more serious?
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrEllie replied 1 year ago.

DrEllie :

Hi! My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am here to help answer your questions but please remember that advice and diagnosis over the internet can never replace advice given in person after a thorough physical examination and evaluation of lab work.
Please be patient as some responses can take some time to type out. In addition, please do not forget to rate our interaction after I have answered all of your questions.

DrEllie :

I would like to find out a little more information from you regarding Mickey Curley if you don't mind.

Has there been a diet change recently? More people food? Getting into the garbage?

These things can cause general GI upset, but normally the vomiting with such will resolve in 24 hours.

DrEllie :

Given Mickey Curley's age and symptoms, I think it is a good idea to have him checked out by a veterinarian. There are many things that can cause vomiting and excessive drinking such as diabetes, kidney disease, etc. Even if Mickey Curley has been healthy his whole life, these are things that can begin to show signs acutely.

DrEllie :

His veterinarian can run some general bloodwork to check for metabolic disorders at his appointment. Even if the bloodwork is normal, it will serve as a good baseline as Mickey Curley ages further and will rule out some serious diseases.

In the meantime, you can try to feed Mickey Curley a bland, easy to digest diet, such as boiled skinless chicken breast with white rice. In addition, you can give a human medication called Famotidine (brand name is Pepcid) at a dose of 0.22 - 0.5 mg/pound body weight every 12 hours. (If Mickey Curley weighs 25 pounds his highest dose would be 0.5 mg X 25 pounds = 12.5 mg famotidine....you could round this dose down to 10 mg).

Please feel free to reply with any additional questions and I will get back with you as soon as possible. It would be my pleasure to help you with Mickey Curley!

Expert:  DrEllie replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No diet changes and I don't think he got into the garbage. It's possible I he at something he shouldn't in the yard but all he has thrown up was water and bile. I will keep an eye on him and see how he does. Tonight will be 24 hours so hopefully he will be all better. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  DrEllie replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. If you think he is getting worse today, you may want to try to get him in this afternoon. I will be available off and on all day and evening so please feel free to check in if something changes with him and you need further advice. Best wishes!
DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience: As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.
Expert:  DrEllie replied 12 months ago.
Hi Liz,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mickey Curley. How is everything going?

DrEllie
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We did take him to the vet on Wednesday night because he still was not doing well. Just some kind of upset stomach or cold. He got a dose of pepcid injected and antibiotics and he was doing better with in a couple of hours. They suggested the same bland diet for a little while but he doesn't like the rice, only the chicken. Getting blood work back today but it looks like he's in good health from what the Vet could tell. Thank you for following up and for your help!
Expert:  DrEllie replied 12 months ago.
Great news! Thank you for taking the time to update me. I'm glad Mickey Curley is on the way to getting back to normal!