Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My friend has a 6 yr. old Beagle,

My friend has a 6 yr. old Beagle, and soon I am getting a miniature Dachshund puppy. ( My 12 yr. old Dachshund died last year ). Our question is this: Her dog (and my dog, when she was alive) suffered terribly from thunder/rain/bad weather anxiety. We are both wondering if those "thunder garments" that we see advertised really work? Two more questions: 1) Another friend of mine has a 10-mo. old Lab. He as had dogs before, but this dog seems to be "very hyper" when compared to the other dogs he's had. He realizes that he is still a puppy, but is wondering if this excessive activity is normal, and if not, would some type of medication help? If so, what ? 2) I am about a month away from getting a miniature Dachshund. I have had Dachshunds before, but always had 2 in the house, so that the "new" puppy would just follow the older one out the door for "potty time". This always worked, but now I do not have the 2nd doggie to rely on for assistance. What is the best way to train a baby Dachshund, as I understand that Dachshunds are difficult to potty train? Thanks very much for your answers. ----Rita XXXXX

Hi Rita,

Welcome back to Just Answer. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm going to be honest and say that the "thunder shirts" are something that can work well for some dogs in stressful situations to help calm them. It is a product that I've had some owners give extremely positive results for. I've had other owners not see the same results. I tell clients that it is a product that can be tried to see what effects it has on their dog. It can't hurt the situation and has that potential to help.

As far as the 10 month old lab being "very hyper", well, that sounds like a lot of the lab puppies that come into my clinic. This isn't a situation that needs medication. It is a situation where this friend needs to have more activities for this puppy. A young lab like this has lots and lots of energy usually and the more activity / play he has, then the better. The other big thing here is training. I would recommend enrolling this puppy in puppy behavior classes available through local organizations to help train him to be a better puppy.

As far as potty training, I strongly recommend crate training for this. It is a very, very reliable method that works well on these smaller breed dogs. Here is a great link that goes over this in detail. Please read it.

I hope the upcoming addition to the house goes well. Getting a new puppy is a very exciting time. Please let me know what else I can help with in preparing you for this.
Thank you very much for the very kind accept Rita. If you have any questions that come up in the future with this new addition to the house, please let me know as I would be very glad to help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX contact you in the future should I need help. Your email dated today (Friday, April 12 a little after 10 a.m.) stated that you were concerned that I had not yet read your answer. In fact, I read your answer last night as soon as you gave me an answer. Perhaps the server or the computer(s)had an error. I don't know, but I assure your answer was read (and appreciated) immediately after you sent i to me last night. Thanks again for your help. Rita X. XXXXX

[email protected]

P.S. I was very satisfied with Dr. Bruce's responses!