Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a springer spaniel 6 yrs old. Recently Ive notice dirty

I have a springer spaniel 6 yrs old. Recently I've notice dirty around her muzzle area of mouth. All the way around the outside. He tends to dig for moles in yard and I would wipe his mouth thinking it was from that. When brushing him I realized this "dirt" is stuck to his fur around his mouth and when I tried cleaning it his hair came with it and it looks raw under there. Pepper acts like its tender. I cleaned the area with Hibiclens and rinsed it then applied polysporin. What is this. He has vet appt. in 2 days.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question about Pepper. Is the area with this "dirt" just around his mouth? Is he still eating and drinking well? How long was the "dirt" there prior to your cleaning it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've wiped the area off with paper towels over the past 2 weeks I guess. I didn't have my glasses on and just thought it was dirty from digging. He is eating well and drinking his bowls of water. Takes his treats and gobbles them down.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
That is great that he's eating well and drinking well. At this time, that "dirt" may be a combination of dirt, other material, and serum from the skin. Basically if that area around his mouth is staying moist from this material being in contact with the skin, it can irritate it - much like a dermatitis. The skin when it stays moist can have secondary bacterial infections start up that also irritate it. If this goes on long enough, the skin gets raw and the hair in the area becomes brittle and falls out when rubbed. Kind of like a chronic rash on a baby's rear end. The good news is that this area should be one that heals pretty quickly once some topical medications and oral medications are started up. That combined with some time should let the skin quiet down and hair grow back. Some can have autoimmune issues that can appear around the mouth, but these are not common. Until you get to your vet appointment, I would gently clean that area twice a day with a warm soapy wash cloth (don't let him really drink a lot as it won't taste good). Then pat it dry. I would try to keep him from trying to find the moles as that dirt on his muzzle is most likely a part of this. If you do notice it dirty, clean it right away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds logical, I realize the vet will have to actually look at it to determine. I will do as you advised until appt.Does polysporin hurt a dog? I've used it twice. I applied it twice keeping his mouth closed and let it sit and then wiped excess off. Of course he licked it, as soon as he could.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
The polysporin won't hurt him. How much good it does in that area is up in the air as he could be licking it off very quickly after application as your finding that out. If he was to eat tube after tube, then it may be upsetting to his stomach. But, with how you're doing it, it may help some Dana.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian