Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.

My family and I bought a dog about a month ago and were told

Customer Question

My family and I bought a dog about a month ago and were told it was a great pyrenees. Her hair color when we bought her was a Cream color and she was a fur ball. Now that she is getting bigger her hair color has changed color into a blondish...like a blondish/khaki color. She definately is NOT white. Also, she isnt as fluffy as she was when we bought her. Do you think she may be mixed with another breed? I have done some research but haven't seen any Great Pyrenees that are almost yellowish in color.

*Also I have to add, when we bought our Great Pyrenees girl pup the owner was also selling her brother that came from the same mother. He was also Cream colored but he had dark browish-greyish patches on him. He also was a fur ball. Maybe this helps to find out if our pup is full blood Pyrenees.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Sally Grott :

Thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today

Sally Grott :

how old is the dog now and how old was it when you bought it?

Sally Grott :

Where did you buy the dog from?

Sally Grott :

Were you able to see the parents and were you able to see their health certifications on hips, eyes, and heart?

Customer :

Hi Sally.

Customer :

We bought our pup from a lady off of the street. The only paperwork we recieved from her was a shot record from the vet with her first set of shots.

Customer :

we bought the pup when she was 7 weeks old. She is about to be 3 months.

Sally Grott :

To be honest when you buy off the street you are not going to know for sure what you paid for, But there are DNA test available from 35 dollars and up that you can have a company test for you. Generally it is a swab inside their mouth then you send it off. That being said , not all puppies are pure white, some are born with brown or tan spots and they lighten when as they age

Sally Grott :

Some dogs turn pure white after five years old

Customer :

We didn't get to see the parents so we have no idea what they look like or if they have any health certifications.

Sally Grott :

Thank you. were you able to see my information about about color change as they age?

Sally Grott :

I am not sure what sites you looked at, but here is a good one

Sally Grott :

In that site you can see how they grow lighter and some will remain with some tan highlights.

Sally Grott :

Dogs will also lose that fluffy puppy look as they age as well.

Customer :

Here is a recent pic of our pup:

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

and heres a pic of her when we bought her

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

sorry for the bad quality as you can image she moves around like crazy

Sally Grott :

she does look purebred, but in the younger picture I also see some Lab looking at the shorter snout

Sally Grott :

But that snout may grow as she grows

Sally Grott :

She looks very similar to the pups here http://www.greatpyrenees.com/greatpyrenees2.shtml

Sally Grott :

What is her age now? You said you got her a month ago

Customer :

We bought her exactly on 3.5.13. So its a little after a month.

Customer :

she was born on 1.14.13

Sally Grott :

From the pics there is no way to tell for sure, It could be a lab or it could be a pyr

Sally Grott :

it could be a mix of both

Sally Grott :

the ears are low on the head which is indicative of both breeds

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

since you were offline after sending the pictures I changed from chat to Question and answer . I wanted to let you know that I contacted a vet friend of mine who used to raise this breed. He and his daughter both raised them and the daughter still does. The spots , either light or dark ,you saw on the other pup are called badger spots and can be present at birth or develop over time. So it may be a breed type of Pyrenees , similar to other breeds like what I have Newfoundlands, and there are black , brown and a black white one in it's class which is called a Landseer. So there is a possibility that you got a purebred. It is also possible that your dog may develop badger spots over time. The daughter of this vet told me her badger spots lightened over time and that there were areas on her dog that were pink that darkened over the 9- 12 month period. I hope this has been of further help to you, but if you have other specific questions, I can probably contact my Vet friend again:)