Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dog , a 9 month old Bassetthound, has some kind of dysplasia

My dog , a 9 month old Bassetthound, has some kind of dysplasia in her elbows. She has been limping on the right side. What kind of treatment is usually given?
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Angel.
Elbow dysplasia infers she has signs of arthritis at an early age. I am sorry to hear about this diagnosis. It can be difficult to interpret these x-rays, so I always encourage that you request the x-rays be reviewed by a radiologist specialist.

Elbow dysplasia, just like hip dysplasia you may hear a lot about in labradors, can get progressively worse. it can require more invasive procedures like arthroscopy to go into the joint to try and clean out scar tissue and bony problems that may develop.

General medical management is usually in the form of joint support supplements, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications to help with inflammation in the joint, and pain medication as needed.

A few common medications prescribed by vets (not all options,but many of the most common choices): NSAIDS,
Pain Control

Currently, one of my favorite joint support supplements on the market is Dasuquin or Cosequin. Here is some more information about it. Many veterinarians and clients have observed that after a few months on a quality joint support product, they can often reduce the dose of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications there pets may already be taking. A supplement can take several weeks to observe benefit, so it is important additional anti-inflammatory or pain medications are used in the meantime.
Product Information about Dasuquin / Cosequin
Also, an incredible clinically tested food to help with joint problems is J/D.
J/D Diet
Another supplement to review would be Adequan injections for joint health. These injections are also quite popular and have helped many pets with arthritic disease.
Adequan injections

Elbow Dysplasia

The link above is great and will help you when talking with your vet further about the condition and options.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or need assistance. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.
REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion.

Hi Olga,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Angel. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Andy, Angel is doing just fine.The Vet gave her Tramadol 50mg that I can give her 3x day if needed. Right now I give it to her twice a day and she is tolerating it very well. Thanks for your help.

Your very welcome Olga.
Happy to hear things are improved.