Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Good afternoon, My dog has a slight limp. He slipped last

Good afternoon,
My dog has a slight limp. He slipped last wed morning coming up the stairs from the back yard. He went flat out. On and off he has had a minor limb on one leg. His main vet gave him a 16 day supply of Derramax(spelling may be off). I just started him on this last night. What I have noticed the last few days is he is fine running like normal on the leg when he gets up first thing in the morning and after he has been in his crate resting for a few hours. He does limp the first couple mins after coming out of his create if he has not had a few hours to rest. He limps for a couple of mins and lifts his foot off the ground. After he stretches he seems to be fine and goes back to running around. Based on what I have described should I be overly concerned? Should I give the medicine time to work? Should I rest him more? I have not had him examined by his vet. The vet just prescribed him some medicine.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Are you referring to a limp on the back leg or front leg?

When the vet did the examination, did you see them check the paw, nails, flex and extend the knee and the hip?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He is limping on a front leg. His vet did not see him. He has had issues before and before he goes in to the office they give him a 16 day supply of Deramaxx.

He only seems to limp right after he gets out of his crate. Within 5 mins he stretches and seems to be back to normal.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Needed to know front or back because the differential list for what could be causing the problem is a bit different.

My primary concerns for a limp on a front leg/paw include:
1. Having stepped on something that no longer remains.
2. Hypersensitivity reaction (i.e. insect bite or sting)
3. Hyperextension injury (like bending your wrist back too far)
4. A soft tissue injury (like sprain or straining your wrist or ankle)
5. Fracture, especially in the digits of the paw
6. In older pets, I always think about exacerbating arthritis (common for the elbow)

So, I do like deramaxx. It is a common and good non-steoridal anti-inflammatory that can help with inflammation regardless of what joint or area may be the problem.

Most important, no running and jumping. He is not likely healed that quickly. I would rest him for at least 7-10 days and if continuing to use the deramaxx, at least let your vet know you are resuming its use and why. Just so they know.

I can't rule-out problems like early age arthritis that may have been exacerbated by an injury, or some other soft tissue injury like a sprain/strain.

Definitely, got to rest him several more days.

One more thing. AT this age, may not be such a bad idea to start a good joint support supplement anyway.
Currently, one of my favorite joint support supplements on the market is Dasuquin or Cosequin. Here is some more information about it. Many veterinarians and clients have observed that after a few months on a quality joint support product, they can often reduce the dose of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications there pets may already be taking. A supplement can take several weeks to observe benefit, so it is important additional anti-inflammatory or pain medications are used in the meantime.

Product Information about Dasuquin / Cosequin

Also, an incredible clinically tested food to help with joint problems is J/D.
J/D Diet

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or need assistance. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.
REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management