Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a 7 year old super athletic femal Weimaraner who coulnt

I have a 7 year old super athletic femal Weimaraner who coulnt jump on the ebd for the first time last night. This AM she got of the bed one foot at a time and didnt jump for her treats as she usually does. Otherwise she seems normal. She drank some standing water yesterday during a hike upand down moutnatians in the woods.

Good Morning and welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Stella is not feeling well.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Did something happen yesterday that was different?

Is Stella eating today?

Does she seem depressed?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Thank you!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yesterday we went for a strenuous hike up and down hills for the first time in 6 months or so and she drank some standing water that i chased her from once i saw the water. No vomiting or diarrhea. She ate her treats as normal but has not eaten her food yet. She didnt scratch the ground as briskly as she usually does after going poo. She does seem to be a bit subdued. Seems like she is having weakness in her back end muscles. this is a very muscular and athletic dog.

Thank you Mark for that information.

Most likely Stella has suffered an injury to a disc in her back. This is very common in this breed because of their conformation and excess energy. Since Stella does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when she jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way.

The best thing you can do for now, Mark, as long as Stella is eating something now, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize.

It is best to have your vet examine Stella to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you, Mark?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Loretta. I am waiting for her vet to call back for an appt. I figured i'd try to find some answers online while i waited. Thanks again

You are very welcome, Mark...I am glad you are taking her to your vet. They will have stronger more effective medications for Stella if this is an unstable disc in her back.

Good Luck, Mark!!

Thank you so much, Mark for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Stella's condition.

Have a great day!!

Hi Mark,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Stella. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta