Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

I cleaned my golden retrievers ears because he kept shaking

I cleaned my golden retrievers ears because he kept shaking his head but now he is doing it more. It is subsiding but he is whimpering a bit.

Hi Sir or Madam,

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 30-40 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

Did Buddy have any discharge from the ears leading you to clean the ears?

Was it a brown or golden colored discharge?

Any swelling of the ears?

Is the ear red at all?

Has the dog been walking abnormally at all?

Are Buddy's eyes moving funny?

Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No he did not have any discharge but his ears were fairly dirty. He was at the vet just over a week ago for an injection and he cleaned his ears. His ears don't look swelled or red. He hasn't been walking abnormally and I can't see his eyes moving funny. He is whimpering a little, but not much.

If the only symptom is head shaking, then it is possible the dog has fluid in the ear, possibly from the ear cleaning if some entered the ear canal. Additionally it might be an infection of the middle or inner ear where it is not visible.

Other possible causes would be a foreign body in the ear such as a grass seed or even a small insect like a flea. Another possiblity would be an allergic reaction. Since allergies can cause itchiness, dogs will sometimes shake their heads. You might try some benadryl to see if that helps. Benadryl is given at a dosage of 1mg per pound every 8 hours.

I'm going to give you a site that goes over ear infections including inner ear infections since it may be an inner ear infection.

Since your dog seems to be in pain, I would recommend having your vet take a quick look to check. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click hereand bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Jane, he seems to have settled for the night as we are in Australia. I will see how he is in the morning and follow up with my vet then. Thanks for your help. Sorry for the delay, I fell asleep on the couch.