Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

Hi, my 1 year old, 70 pound Lab mix got a cut on his tongue

Hi, my 1 year old, 70 pound Lab mix got a cut on his tongue when I was trying to groom him. It didn't cut through the tongue, but it cut a small flap on the top of the left side of his tongue. About the size of a pinky nail.

Bleeding stopped after what felt like a total eternity, but he is fine and alert. I got him to drink a little water (which he promptly spit back up later). Because this happened on a Sunday, I couldn't get a pet taxi to the emergency vet (I have no car). But, I figured if the bleeding has stopped and the dog seems otherwise okay, I would wait until morning when I could get a ride.

So this morning, I check on him and he hadn't spit up anything overnight. He was alert, came when called, and promptly sat next to his food bin (which he does when he's hungry). I didn't give him kibble, though. I boiled chicken and shredded the chicken for him, which he ate like a champ.

I figure we are in the clear, but my question is this... does the flap seal back down???
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Tank.

Well, if it is more superficial and not a large tear, Yes, it should heal over time. Definitely, you want to get a look at this injury. Depending on the size, location, and if at any risk for infection, will dictate how quickly it can heal, but I would believe can heal!

Your vet might suggest a little anti-inflammatory or even pain medication, as I am sure it does hurt some. Possible antibiotics, but that really depends on the examination findings. Maybe not.

I would avoid any human pain medications for risk of causing digestive upset and stick with something from the vet office. Not worth creating an additional problem by accident.

Based on the size of the wound, I have no reason to think it can't heal with time.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or need assistance. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.
REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion.

Hi Max,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tank. How is everything going?