Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience

My 3 yr old alaskan malamute has been itching like crazy for

Customer Question

My 3 yr old alaskan malamute has been itching like crazy for the last several weeks. Checked him for fleas and ticks and found none. Noticed he is pretty dry and it blowing his undercoat right now but he seems pretty uncomfortable. have noticed redness on the inside of his hind legs assume it's from all the itching but not sure. About a month ago we changed food flavors from his taste of the wild salmon to the bison to see if he would eat more and he loves it but went thru a whole bag without a problem and now he's itching.. Could it be the food? or the dry skin? what can i do to help him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. Food allergies are possible, but with spring arriving, there could be many possible allergens with various pollens being common in the spring.
With food allergies, dogs tend to most often have allergies to the protein source. So, the shift in food could certainly be an issue. I It may be worth switching back to the other food. The fact that he did not eat the salmon food as readily is fine as this may help him maintain a healthy body weight If the food was the issue, it could take a solid 6-8 weeks where this is his EXCLUSIVE diet. This is rather challenging, but it is the only way to have faith in your food trial.

At this point, you can also use Benedryl (diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1 mg/lb twice daily. This does not work for everyone, but it can suppress the itching enough to allow the secondary lesions to heal. On some of the irritated areas, you can also apply a thin layer of cortaid or neosporin. This may also help calm the itch.
If these tricks are not helping, then it may help to see your vet. Your vet may give you further guidence on the food trial, but may also try other antihistamines or even more aggressive therapy with steroids or cyclosporine. May have you switch from the egg to a more balance fatty acid supplement that can help nourish the coat. Keep in mind, the eggs are a protein source and he could have an allergy to those as well.

So, try the benedryl and the topicals I mentioned. I would also try to stick to the salmon food alone. If things are not improving, a vet visit is warranted. I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Thanks
Dr. Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience
Hi Jenny,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ryu. How is everything going?

Doctor Jeff
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello ,

He seems to be getting a little better, but still itches quite a bit. Have been he weighes round 85 lbs and i've been giving him 75 mg of benedryl at noon and midnight. The neosporin has helped the individual spots a lot. Starting to think it was the food and it's jut now completely out of his system yet. . . what's your thoughts?

Jenny

A good food trial requires 6-8 weeks of the trial food. It can takes weeks to see full effects, so if this is a food allergy, it may be worth continuing at least for another month. Keep in mind, there can also be allergies to pollen, etc along with foods. I hope this helps.
Jeff