Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog has been coughing for 5 days. It started after a walk

My dog has been coughing for 5 days. It started after a walk when she pulled really hard on the leash to get to another dog. She started coughing right away but then it stopped for a few hours and started back up again. First it had some fluid now its just dry. Her behavior is normal most of the day, no problem eating, her usual barking self when I get home from work but after a coughing episode she gets a little tired.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I would love to help I just have a few additional questions.Each answer is typed individually so please allow me a few minutes after your reply.

If you push on the trachea does she cough

Is she around other dogs

Is she coughing more during a certain time of day or is it random

Has the cough medication helped at all and exactly what medication are you giving

Other then right after the coughing any decrease in activity level or does she seem to tire more easily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have another dog and my Moms dogs have been around her. She seems to cough more in the early morning. I don't remember the name of the cough medicine, it was my 8 year old's from her last cold a month ago. I gave my dog 1/4 teaspoon, so probably not enough. She does seem a bit more tired after coughing a lot.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Pulling on the collar cause damage to the trachea but this normally resolves in a few days and does not normally make them tired.

One main concern we have when we see a senior dogs start coughing and being tired is that the cough could actually be an indicator of heart disease so it is always very important to have them seen by your vet to rule this out.

Without knowing exactly what medication you are giving for the cough I can not say it is safe. Some human cough medications are but others can contain drugs that can be toxic to dogs so I would have to recommended discontinuing using this. Even more important is that even some safe cough medication can be dangerous if the cause of the cough is heart disease.

Kennel cough is also possible and this can be easily picked up on walks as this is an airborne virus. While possible this is also very contagious so in most cases it will also transfer to other dogs in the home.

While I am sure this is not what you wanted to hear considering her age I have to recommend having her seen by a vet to check not only for heart disease but also problems with the lungs and or damage to the trachea due to pulling on the collar. If this had only be going on for a day or two then I would suggest monitoring but at this point 5 days is to long and a vet exam would be recommended.

I hope this helps and this is nothing serious. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer