Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Was recently given a dog and a few days after we got her, she

Was recently given a dog and a few days after we got her, she started coming out in red spots, which we think is ringworm. Have her booked in to see a vet on tuesday, but wondered if there was anything we could do in the meantime.

This could be ringworm, or it could be a bacterial infection or even skin mites (Demodex or Sarcoptes). A skin scraping will be done to rule out mites. A fungal culture on the hair around the area will rule in or out ringworm.

There is not much you can do in the meantime, as mite and ringworm treatments are not available over the counter.

The one thing you can give, is an antihistamine to help with any itching. We typically use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) in dogs. The dose is 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.