Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

RA-rbm

Customer Question

My dog is acting lethargic. She is slow and has moved around the house to lay down. I am worried about her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the question.

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and try and advise you.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think your particular problem through and prepare an answer and type things up. I will then get back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I am trying to determine whether to take her to the emergency vet. It is not close by. But I am worried about her. She is also very traumatized when she goes to the vet. Not the vet's fault, she just is very anxious when we go. She is laying around, but moving around some.

Thanks for waiting,

While I cannot precisely diagnose Lily's problem via the internet I can make the following general comments based on my past experience of such cases over the years. I know this may not be what you want to hear but having thought things through I think that your best course of action would be to have a vet check Lily over sooner rather than later.

I am saying this because she is so lethargic and slow it is possible that your dog is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection or alternatively these symptoms could mean she is in pain and discomfort of some kind.

Please understand that I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that antibiotics or other prescription drugs would be what is needed if Lily is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that other diagnosis are also possible.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

I have over twenty five years full time experience in treating domestic pets and am pleased to do my best to advise you with your current problem. However please note that this advice and any subsequent advice I may give is for your interest and education only and is not intended as a substitute for an in-person consultation with a qualified veterinarian.