Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have an 80# XXXXX w/ arthritis - trying to get him off the

I have an 80# XXXXX w/ arthritis - trying to get him off the rimadyl and onto something healthy and more cost effective - how much turmeric should I give him daily
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Maxximus.
Definitely, understand your question. I agree, whenever we can at least reduce the amount of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or steroid being used, that is best.

So, options!

1. I would definitely consider starting a quality joint support supplement. It's not the cheapest, but you can find it on the internet.

Currently, one of my favorite joint support supplements on the market is Dasuquin or Cosequin. Here is some more information about it. Many veterinarians and clients have observed that after a few months on a quality joint support product, they can often reduce the dose of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications there pets may already be taking. A supplement can take several weeks to observe benefit, so it is important additional anti-inflammatory or pain medications are used in the meantime.

Product Information about Dasuquin / Cosequin

Also, an incredible clinically tested food to help with joint problems is J/D.
J/D Diet

Another supplement to review would be Adequan injections for joint health. These injections are also quite popular and have helped many pets with arthritic disease.
Adequan injections

The J/D food. Interesting diet. After about 4-6 weeks I have had several patients where they were able to reduce the amount of the non-steroidal medication they were giving. Not 100% off of drugs like rimadyl or metacam, but definitely reduced.

Also, many times it is well worth starting a 'true' pain medication like Tramadol. Might also help to reduce the amount of Rimadyl used.

Tramadol

Now, you asked about tumeric:

Both of the below links should be very helpful.

Tumeric

Other Natural Options

There is dosing information in the link above, and a second link with some extra ideas as well.

Remember, whenever you see information about aspirin, never give any other anti-inflammatory medication at the same time as rimadyl.

Hope that extra information is helpful to you. Wanted to provide some extra stuff to help as much as I can.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or need assistance. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.
REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion.

Hi Melissa,
I also wanted to add:
If you start the tumeric, because of concerns for less common bleeding disorders and stomach upset, I would caution using the tumeric at the same time as the rimadyl. I would suggest maybe trying to do a half dose of the rimadyl, perhaps combined with some of the other ideas. I see that work a lot better in many pets.

Also, even at his body weight, I probably would start with just a low dose, no more than 500mg, to ensure he can tolerate it okay. You can always slowly increase.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me BEFORE providing your feedback rating, if you have any further questions. I want to do my best to assist you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i bought the turmeric in powder form - not capsules or mgs. I need to know the tsp amount of dosage...

Oh..that certainly makes it a bit more of a challenge. :)

Well,
give me any info you have on the bottle.
anything

Let's see what we can do. This powder may not be acceptable because at his body weight it could require several hundred mg's per dose.

But, read what you can off the bottle. I'll be here for a few hours to respond.

Hi Melissa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maxximus. How is everything going?