DrEllie
DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience:  As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.

My 10 month old blue heeler has been acting very strange the

Customer Question

My 10 month old blue heeler has been acting very strange the last few days. Hes sleeping all the time, doesnt have much of an appetite and isnt as active as usual. Normally he runs around and is a very happy dog. Do you think he could have eaten a small object and it caused a bloackage in his intestines? I have seen him swallow objects before.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrEllie replied 1 year ago.

DrEllie :

Hi! My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am here to help answer your questions but please remember that advice and diagnosis over the internet can never replace advice given in person after a thorough physical examination and evaluation of lab work.
Please be patient as some responses can take some time to type out. In addition, please do not forget to rate our interaction after I have answered all of your questions.

I'd like to ask a few questions to get a better idea of what is going on with Hank if that is ok with you...Is Hank vomiting?

Customer:

I didnt see him actually vomit but I noticed a spot in the truck yesterday where it looked like he might have then possibly ate it. I cant be sure though.

DrEllie :

Just that one time that you are aware of though?

Customer:

yes

DrEllie :

Thank you. Any diarrhea?

Customer:

No I checked his stool today and yesterday and it is solid

DrEllie :

Normal amounts as well? Any straining to produce stool?

Customer:

He doesnt seem to go as often (Im guessing because hes not eating as much) but he did look to be straining a little today

Customer:

I should also point out that he does have a history of seizures but they arent very frequent and he is not on any meds for them

DrEllie :

That is good information, thank you. Generally, with a GI obstruction/blockage of the intestines we generally see a lot of vomiting, lack of appetite and lack of energy, and sometimes the dog strains to defecate (because there is nothing moving through).

With that being said, it seems as though Hank's signs are very vague and may not necessarily be due to an obstruction. The lack of appetite and activity could be do to anything really. Something as simple as muscle soreness could cause these signs.

Does Hank normally have a great appetite? Never passing up food?

Customer:

He usually has a very good appetite and is fed three small portions a day. Right now he isnt even eating half of each portion.

DrEllie :

With his signs I definitely think it is worth having him checked out. This could be anything from a metabolic disorder to the start of a GI obstruction. The vet may recommend some bloodwork to look for abnormalities to help diagnose the specific issue.

If he were acting normal and just eating a little less I would say that you could may monitor it for a few days, but the lack of energy is concerning.

Customer:

I have an appointment for friday morning. Just wanted to ease my mind a little in the mean time.

DrEllie :

I see. I would continue to feed him his normal amount and really watch for vomiting and problems will stool. In addition, if you could take his temperature rectally that might give us a little more information. Normal temperature for a dog is 101-102.

Another thing you can check is his gum color. Where the gums are not pigmented, they should be pink.

Customer:

I dont have a thermometer here but his gums are pink.

DrEllie :

Below is a link that describes "normals" for dogs...
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Also, this link below is to an article about GI obstructions/Foreign bodies that may help as well...

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastrointestinal-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

It is great that his gums are pink, the pink color can help determine if he is anemic or not

DrEllie :

For the time being, I would continue to encourage him to eat but be careful about offering a lot of foods he isn't used to...we don't want to make the problem worse

Customer:

ok, do you think I should try feeding him rice/chicken?

DrEllie :

Boiled chicken and rice is a good thing for GI upset as it is very easy to digest. Feeding this type of diet may be helpful in Hank's situation.

Customer:

what about him not drinking? I did notice him eating snow when he was outside. I do make sure he has fresh water at all times.

DrEllie :

Yes, make sure he has fresh water available. If he eats snow, it is a source of water so that may be why he is not drinking quite as much. You can also add ice cube treats to increase his water intake or add ice to his water bowl....sometimes these things help ensure some water intake.

Customer:

ok thanks

DrEllie :

You are welcome. Please do not hesitate to let me know of any other questions you might have

Customer:

ok thank you

DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience: As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.
Expert:  DrEllie replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kristy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hank. How is everything going?

DrEllie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I managed to get him in on thursday to the vet. They took bloodwork and his globulin levels were slightly high, other than that everything looked good. They also did more blood work (cant remember what it was for) and they came back negative, which was good. They gave him a pain med injection and by the time we got home he was feeling better. He ate and had a big drink that night. Hes on pain meds for four days. Hes still not quite right he goes through phases of acting normal then not seeming well. Hes off and on eating but I do manage to get atleast one or two meals into him a day and he is drinking. I also notice he gets green crud in the corner of his eyes in the morning. Im going to give him until his pain meds are done (tomorrow) and if hes still not better Ill bring him back to the vet again.

Expert:  DrEllie replied 1 year ago.
I hope he is completely back to normal by tomorrow...Thank you for the update!