Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

My 5 year old lab retriever dog is sleeping more than usual,

My 5 year old lab retriever dog is sleeping more than usual, will greet me at the door then lie down almost immediately sometimes. She is eating less than half of what she normally eats (dog food), will still eat "human food" and her treats. She is licking the snow outside and often goes outside just to lay in the snow. She still has energy to play when initiated with her. This has been going on for about a week now.

Theresa :

The poor girl sounds like she really isn't feeling so good.

Theresa :

Is there any vomiting or diarrhea? Has she had issues like this or similar in the past?

Theresa :

Does she seem painful or uncomfortable anywhere?

Customer:

she has no vomiting at all. she had a little diarrhea after her bowel movement tonight, otherwise regular bm's. nothing similar in the past. She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or in pain, although her behaviour has been different. (growling possessively over food)

Theresa :

This is concerning.

Theresa :

Is she spayed?

Customer:

yes

Theresa :

Is she on heart worm prevention

Customer:

no

Theresa :

Has she been dewormed recently?

Customer:

not since she was a puppy

Theresa :

What color are her gums?

Theresa :

Can you check her gum color for me?

Customer:

pinkish

Theresa :

When was the last time she has had any blood work performed?

Customer:

2 years ago

Theresa :

Do you notice that she needs to urinate more often or is drinking more?

Customer:

no if anything drinking less, and eating snow

Theresa :

Well, I believe it is time to have some bloodwork run on her. See has symptoms of what could be addison's disease which should be ruled out. A basic chemistry panel with electrolytes and a CBC with a manual differential can help to determine if this is a possible cause.

Customer:

is it something serious or can it wait until to tomorrow to visit the vet? Should I ask to test her for Addison's specifically?

Theresa :

I don't see why she cannot wait until tomorrow. We will start with the tests mentioned above and if there are any abnormalities or even if nothing is noted I would ask your vet about testing for this.

Customer:

ok thank you!!

Theresa :

She is a bit young for a thyroid issue but this could also potentially be a problem as well, but I am sure your vet will discuss this with you.

Theresa :

You are very welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

ok, we will keep all this in mind and make sure our vet looks into everything for her. No, you have helped us a lot! thank you again.

Hi Tara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sally. How is everything going?

Theresa