DrEllie
DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience:  As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.
73027278

Our eight year old male papillon is shivering. He has been

Our eight year old male papillon is shivering. He has been doing this off and on for two days. Our Vet is out of the country. Should we take him elsewhere? He seems normal with exception of the shivering.
Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrEllie replied 1 year ago.

DrEllie :

Hi! My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am here to help answer your questions but please remember that advice and diagnosis over the internet can never replace advice given in person after a thorough physical examination and evaluation of lab work.
Please be patient as some responses can take some time to type out. In addition, please do not forget to rate our interaction after I have answered all of your questions.

I'm sorry to hear that Perrier is acting a little "off". You mentioned that he seems normal otherwise...Is he eating and drinking normally?

Customer:

Yes, He is eating and drinking normally. His shivering isn't as if he is cold. It starts at his neck and shivers down through his trunk. Very strange.

DrEllie :

Is this something he is doing constantly or just at certain times during the day?

Customer:

We have noticed four times since yesterday. It is when he is resting.

DrEllie :

Sometimes dogs will shiver as a response to pain or discomfort. For example, a tender paw, itchy skin, a slightly upset stomach....anything out of the ordinary. Also, if there is something going on that Perrier is not used to he could shiver as a reaction to the stress of change.

DrEllie :

Did he experience a change in diet recently? Extra people food?

Customer:

Nothing out of the ordinary going on. I though about giving him yogurt this morning, but didn't know if it could be stomach related.

Customer:

I did have him groomed two days ago and they shaved him pretty close. So, I guess it could be itchy skin?

DrEllie :

Honestly it could be related to just about anything. By and large, if he is acting completely normal otherwise, I think it is reasonable to monitor him. If you are very concerned and will be worrying about him non-stop, it may be worth the peace of mind to get him checked out.

It could be a little discomfort of the skin. Do you notice a lot of redness of the skin where his hair is cut close?

Customer:

I can read my Aussie Shepherd like a book, but I've never been very good at reading our Papillon he's a mystery! I just don't like thinking he's uncomfortable, and can't tell me!

Customer:

No, He's not red

DrEllie :

I completely understand! It would make all of our lives easier if they could talk wouldn't it?

How long is your veterinarian out of town?

Customer:

He's in Australia until the end of March

DrEllie :

Is it still cold where you live?

Customer:

It's been warm since Saturday 70's 80's

Customer:

he's mostly inside, although we live on a farm.

Customer:

Thank you. I feel better knowing i

DrEllie :

Ok, I was going to say that if it were still sort of chilly then it could be a little shivers from cold (because his hair is shorter!)

Customer:

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX better knowing it

Customer:

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX better knowing it's common for dogs to shake.

DrEllie :

You are welcome! If you think he is getting worse or something else comes up (like vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, etc) then I would recommend getting him checked out. Unfortunately you may have to utilize a vet you aren't used to :-(

DrEllie :

There could be something going on, just not advanced enough to show any other signs yet. Just keep a close eye on him for the next few days for any other changes

Customer:

Thanks!

DrEllie :

Even though he is hard to read, you still know him better than anybody else

DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience: As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.