Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.
13866827

what does it mean if there is blotching on the stomach too,

Customer Question

what does it mean if there is blotching on the stomach too, he can't see a vet till tomorrow? Lynda
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Can I get a little more information about Cassidy's splotches? How long has he had the skin issue? Is he scratching all over? How much does he weigh and what antihistamine did you give him (and how much?) You also mention "rectal bleeding"--can you tell me more about that?

Customer:

blotching and bleeding since yesterday, he weights 35 lbs, 1/2 q benedral every 8 hours cause he seems to itch a little a lick,.... at 3am, he went out to pee and was gone a while, he came back bleeding from the rectum, it slowed down then has stopped today, I took him out again, so I used a q-tip to put some vaseline in his rectum for "slide" and thought I hit resistance and got fresh blood) a little

Customer:

but he also has these red blotches all the way from between his hind legs to his chest, no black and blue briuses though

Dr. Scarlett :

Ok, so the rectal bleeding is very likely a ruptured anal sac. Can you tell if the bleeding is coming from one side of his anus? (if you consider the anus to be a clock face, then the anal glands are located at 4 0

Dr. Scarlett :

located at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock).

Customer:

no it is from inside

Dr. Scarlett :

Is the blotchiness all over his stomach or just in one area? How long has it been there--just showed up or has he been having skin issues for awhile now?

Dr. Scarlett :

Is his stool normal in consistency?

Customer:

oh ok I get it now it did seem to be on the right when I used the Q tip, but I clean his anal glands every month when he has his bath

Dr. Scarlett :

It is still possible for him to have an anal gland develop an infection inside, so if there seems to be blood and a draining hole on one side, then an abscess is most likely. I would actually clean it with some warm water (can you stick him in the tub and use a sprayer with warm water?), and maybe dab it with some 3% hydrogen peroxide. Usually anal gland abscesses require oral antibiotics, so I would plan on taking Cassidy to the vet tomorrow.

Dr. Scarlett :

Is he scratching at his stomach? Did the benadryl seem to help? You can actually give him more than 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet--he could have a full 25 mg or even 1 and 1/2 tablets (the dose is generally about 1 mg per pound body weight for dogs).

Customer:

oops didn't see post 2nd day of blotchy and it's all over his stomach and chest

Customer:

he goes out side to do this business, I suspect he had a little diarreah cause he raided a plate of liver off the counter 3 days ago

Dr. Scarlett :

Not sure the blotchiness goes along with an anal gland abscess, but interesting that they would show up about the same time. When I see blotchy skin, I generally think of a skin infection. And a skin infection is often due to allergies, which can also cause inflammation of the anus and anal glands. So it is certainly possible they are related. Do you have any medicated shampoos at home?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I noticed his blotches after he had his bath,yesterday, when he was wet.... his hair was quite long before, and I didn't use his normal shampoo?????

Dr. Scarlett :

Now that's interesting! What shampoo did you use? What type of medicated shampoo do you have on hand?

Customer:

can I squirt a little peroxide up hs bum?

Dr. Scarlett :

Not in the anus! But if there is a hole next to it, you can wipe that off with peroxide. Peroxide can kill healthy tissue and can be very drying to mucus membranes (like the rectum), so I would only use it for an infected area.

Customer:

all kinds of medicated, but I used a bar of Dirty Dog, and some all natural bar soap, when their hair is long it is hard to wet them down, so I use a sprayer and a bar of soap, then after they get clipped it's lemon grass dog shampoo

Dr. Scarlett :

Do you have anything with chlorhexidene in it?

Customer:

I think so

Customer:

ok so wipe with peroxide and some medicated shampoo in his belly 25mg of Benadryl

Dr. Scarlett :

Ok, I would give Cassidy a bath with that shampoo only. Lather him up well, particularly on his underside. Leave the lather on a good 10 min (this would be a good time to do a little "hydrotherapy" on his back end), before rinsing it off. And yes, give him 25 mg of benadryl every 8 hours.

Customer:

don't know how I will break it to him he's gotta get in the tub again LOL

Dr. Scarlett :

Then call your regular vet in the a.m. for an appointment. Anticipate oral antibiotics for about 3 weeks and a rectal exam. You might keep that info from Cassidy for now! : )

Customer:

great if this helps I may get some sleep tonight, glad I found you, Lynda in the woods of Maine, where there are no weekend vets..

Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my vet said on the phone he exibited classic symptons of rat poison... but he actually had hemolytic anemia and died Tues

Oh Lynda,
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of Cassidy! In hindsight I can certainly see the diagnosis from the rectal bleeding and the blotches. Did you get a chance to start prednisone with him on Monday?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no he needed blood, and the ER vet clinic didn't open till 5:30 pm, and he died on the way

Oh, I'm so sorry. That is a tough disease and the prognosis is always guarded. I'm sure it was comforting to Cassidy to have you with him at the end.