Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine

What are you reading from this urinalysis? sample via Free

What are you reading from this urinalysis?

sample via Free Flow @ 7:00am
Odor: Urinoid
Color: Yellow
Clarity: Clear

Leukocytes: 1+
Nitrite: Positive
pH: 6 pH
Protein: 2+
Glucose: Negative
Ketones: Negative
Urobilinogen: Negative
Bilirubin: Negative
Blood: 3+

Specific Gravity: 1.024
WBC: 1-2 per HPF.
RBC: 3-4 per HPF.
Bacteria: None seen
Casts: None seen
Epithelial cells: 2 per HPF.
Crystals: None seen
Other: Granular debris 1+

Theresa :

Essentially the urinalysis is pointing to a possible urinary tract infection. I would suggest sending a sample of her urine out for a culture and sensitivity to see if it grows bacteria. Nitrites are usually and indication that bacteria may be present. Her specific gravity is a bit on the low side but doesn't scream kidney issues yet as it could be that she has been drinking a lot as a result of having a bladder infection. Protein would be elevated because there is blood present in the urine.

Theresa :

I would send a culture off and then start her on antibiotics. If she is already on antibiotics and a culture hasn't been sent off then it isn't worth the cost to do so. A culture should be sent out before antibiotics are started. The antibiotic can be changed pending the result of the test.

Theresa :

Make sure that she has plenty of water available to her to keep flushing her bladder.

Theresa :

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa :

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Theresa,

sorry, the question was up for a while and had to go to the vet (physical therapy) in the meantime.

Yes, her vet is also thinking UTI, just wanted a second pair of eyes.

Let me know how your Jasmine is fairing during her illness. I would expect if she has already started antibiotics that she should be feeling better at this point.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She does seem to be feeling better, yes. Thank you. Have to go mainly by attitude, as symptoms were very ambiguous.