Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

My vet gave us a sample package of 227mg Previcox and told

My vet gave us a sample package of 227mg Previcox and told us to give our 60 lb dog one full tablet a day. My dog is 9 years old with hip dysplasia and has been taking Rimadyl for a few years now. It no longer seems to be helping her as much as we'd like. Unless I am reading the dosage instructions wrong, this seems to me as if it is well beyond the recommended amount.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Yes, 227mg does seem a bit high for a 60 lbs dog. The typical dose of Previcox is 5mg/kg once daily, which would actually be about 136mg. The product insert says to round to the nearest 1/2 pill, which would be 1/2 of a 227mg pill (113.5mg). I don't want to go against what your veterinarian prescribed, but if Dubs were my dog, I would give 1/2 of a 227mg pill of Previcox once daily.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is Previcox a stronger medication than Rimadyl or just a different drug?

It's not stronger than Rimadyl, just another anti-inflammatory pain reliever in the class of drugs know as Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs). There are several name-brand drugs in this class (i.e. Rimadyl, Metacam, Deramaxx, Previcox). Even though they all work very similarly, if one does not work as well as anticipated, another drug in the same class might work better.

Dr. Dave

Hi Susan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dubs. How is everything going?

Dr. Dave